Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-28-2020, 02:08 PM

Like Gary, I don't have a 204 Ruger or a 20VT. I already had several 224 and 17 caliber rifles, so I never went to any 204 caliber. When I lived in KC, I used to visit Sedalia several times per year, so I had a stock of bullets in 224.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

If I was starting over in the small caliber world today, I'd likely once again do what I did beginning back in the early to mid-1970's and go with velocity in the form of a 17 Remington. Granted back then it was the dominant 17 caliber cartridge because it was the only legitimate factory 17 caliber offering. When I seriously went to the 20 caliber in 1999/2000, I also opted for speed and power once again with the 20 Tactical.

Why? I'm more of a hunter than a shooter with an emphasis on coyote hunting being the most fun that you can have with your clothes on while dragging a rifle around with you, so that has definitely affected my choices in cartridges. That said, I have ran the gamut of 17 caliber and 20 caliber cartridges from "extremely efficient" (read as small and don't burn much powder) to the larger "barrel burning" cases, and the larger cases win my heart every time. But that in no way means that cartridges like the 17M4, 17 Ackley and Hornady Hornets, the 17 Rem FB, the 20 VT, the 20-222, or even the 17-222 are suddenly part of a fire sale at my house. They serve a purpose in the summer months, but I still prefer power and speed in the winter months when coyotes are on the list of things to do. Conversely, the 17 Rem, the factory 204 Ruger, and the 20 Tactical often go pd shooting with me, and with judicious use to avoid over heating a barrel, the barrels of all of them can be easily maximized while stretching out the capability of the cartridges.. For example, I'm still shooting my first custom 20 Tactical from early 2000 which has a PacNor barrel on it, and even after far more more than just a few pd outings, it still shoots bug-hole groups when tested.

Heck, in recent years I've become a fanatic about reaching way out yonder for coyotes and I have once again seriously entered the .224" realm where the 22-250 has been a personal favorite of mine long before I ever owned a 17 Remington. However, it doesn't compare equally to the "reach-out ability" of my custom 22-6MM Rem rifle built on a medium length Montana Rifle Co. action (Model 70 SS clone) with cases loaded with 62 grain BTHP bullets that efficiently kill coyotes at extended ranges. It still makes lazers out of even heavier .224" bullets reaching up to the 75 grainers, but the 62 grain BTHP seems magical to me. Just my preference..........

Bottom line I guess my advice would be to choose a cartridge that best meets your needs now and go from there as you expand your "needs" over time..... Pretty soon you'll have a big stable full of different small caliber cartridges that all do specific things that are important to you.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-28-2020, 04:11 PM

Scratched that itch yesterday (in anticipation of my birthday today) with a Cooper 51 Jackson in 6x47 Remington. Dies and brass on the way, will install
scope this afternoon. Now searching for an appropriate bore guide.[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-28-2020, 09:19 PM
Supporting Member

Hate it when I write a reply and don't c&p and the site drops me.

Got a M7 .223 and 700 Swift looking to be re-barreled. .20-222 for one and 22-6mm or 6-06 for the other. But I end up on the Hornady site and pull down their Ballistics calculator and run trajectories out to the county line for the cartridges I'm daydreaming about. The ones based on .416 Rigby brass just really don't overcome my shooting ability on a windy day when it's in the minus teens and Wiley is about to pop the clutch.

My thoughts. Have fun.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:54 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
I recommended not the 20VT for a couple reasons. He mentioned predator hunting. That to me means a repeater. Not that one cant have a repeater in 20VT but its short and is much more likely to have feeding issues than a longer case. I also see the 20VT in the 32-35gr class case. I want a little heavier bullet. Not that one cannot shoot and kill coyote sized critters with it and have it work, I just prefer more bullet.

Yeah, its easy to build one. All the stuff is on the shelf and there is a bunch of data out there. I'd pick a wildcat where its more of an adventure putting it together! I love my 20JI's and would do another in a heart beat.

Aaron

Same here, Aaron.

Most of my 20 caliber shooting is done with my own hand-swaged 38 grain HP bullet. For me, more bullet means more Omph to make it go fast.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-29-2020, 02:32 PM

Default Couple of 20’s for sale

I’ve got a Cooper 21 Classic in 20VT ready for you and a CZ 527 204 Ruger in a packaged deal, comes with dies, rings and 600 pieces of brass. I can send you pics.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
If I was starting over in the small caliber world today, I'd likely once again do what I did beginning back in the early to mid-1970's and go with velocity in the form of a 17 Remington. Granted back then it was the dominant 17 caliber cartridge because it was the only legitimate factory 17 caliber offering. When I seriously went to the 20 caliber in 1999/2000, I also opted for speed and power once again with the 20 Tactical.

Why? I'm more of a hunter than a shooter with an emphasis on coyote hunting being the most fun that you can have with your clothes on while dragging a rifle around with you, so that has definitely affected my choices in cartridges. That said, I have ran the gamut of 17 caliber and 20 caliber cartridges from "extremely efficient" (read as small and don't burn much powder) to the larger "barrel burning" cases, and the larger cases win my heart every time. But that in no way means that cartridges like the 17M4, 17 Ackley and Hornady Hornets, the 17 Rem FB, the 20 VT, the 20-222, or even the 17-222 are suddenly part of a fire sale at my house. They serve a purpose in the summer months, but I still prefer power and speed in the winter months when coyotes are on the list of things to do. Conversely, the 17 Rem, the factory 204 Ruger, and the 20 Tactical often go pd shooting with me, and with judicious use to avoid over heating a barrel, the barrels of all of them can be easily maximized while stretching out the capability of the cartridges.. For example, I'm still shooting my first custom 20 Tactical from early 2000 which has a PacNor barrel on it, and even after far more more than just a few pd outings, it still shoots bug-hole groups when tested.

Heck, in recent years I've become a fanatic about reaching way out yonder for coyotes and I have once again seriously entered the .224" realm where the 22-250 has been a personal favorite of mine long before I ever owned a 17 Remington. However, it doesn't compare equally to the "reach-out ability" of my custom 22-6MM Rem rifle built on a medium length Montana Rifle Co. action (Model 70 SS clone) with cases loaded with 62 grain BTHP bullets that efficiently kill coyotes at extended ranges. It still makes lazers out of even heavier .224" bullets reaching up to the 75 grainers, but the 62 grain BTHP seems magical to me. Just my preference..........

Bottom line I guess my advice would be to choose a cartridge that best meets your needs now and go from there as you expand your "needs" over time..... Pretty soon you'll have a big stable full of different small caliber cartridges that all do specific things that are important to you.

JMO - BCB

Your post is reflective of why I favor the 220 Swift on one end of the scale and the 17 Remington on the other. Those are what I shoot the most. I have to admit though, I did just put together a Tikka T3X Superlite in 243 Win that I think will be fun but mostly have my eye on it to reload for deer/antelope. However, I am sure a yote will fall prey to it on occasion as well!
Old 10-29-2020, 09:41 PM

I have an original Sako S491 .17 Remington Heavy Barrel rifle that has been shot very little and is in very good condition. Let me know if this interests you.
Thanks