Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-09-2022, 03:54 AM

Default Since I value your opinions…

How much of the fore end needs to end up in the scrap wood bin?

The barrel is ~20 inches and tapers to .72 at the muzzle. I’m thinking about three inches and it will look more like a nice little varmint rifle and less like an M79 Grenade launcher.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That long it would have made a dandy
M/L stock.

Kind of hard to judge from these pictures.

Stock sizes and designs are made up to
satisfy the owner/builder. IF you don't like
how it turns out after done, or nearly done.
Saw it off and clean up the cuts. Then maybe
regret doing it.

Most factory stocks are too thin, usually at the butt.
I like a good sized buttplate. Even more so on kickers.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-09-2022, 04:33 AM

From what it looks like, I would say leave it as is until you finish it and carry handle it and see how it feels.
You can always cut it down later, if you feel it is too long.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
That long it would have made a dandy
M/L stock.

Kind of hard to judge from these pictures.

Stock sizes and designs are made up to
satisfy the owner/builder. IF you don't like
how it turns out after done, or nearly done.
Saw it off and clean up the cuts. Then maybe
regret doing it.

Most factory stocks are too thin, usually at the butt.
I like a good sized buttplate. Even more so on kickers.
Yea the pictures taken at an angle make the barrel look longer than it really is. I’ll try and take a couple from straight on tomorrow. My workshop is long, but narrow. Makes taking a decent picture pretty difficult.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
From what it looks like, I would say leave it as is until you finish it and carry handle it and see how it feels.
You can always cut it down later, if you feel it is too long.
I agree with Bill K. If you cut it down now, you may regret it later. You don't have to finish the stock out completely to try it in the field.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:07 PM

Here is a shot looking straight at it

This is what it reminds me of

Old 05-09-2022, 06:46 PM

Golly gee, did I ever fire a few rounds out of a gas gun, on that order. Old days and time past.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:36 PM

I had planned to use aluminum pillars, but on careful inspection found the dovetail in the barrel was cut about one or two degrees off of square. I thought about it and decided that to straighten the barrel would tip the two extractor cuts at the breach end maybe enough to cause issues there.

So yesterday I "poured" the pillars around the action screws and tight fitting vinyl tubing out of Devcon Steel. Actually I squirted the Devcon in with a horse syringe to make sure I minimized voids. The front action bolt head is going to be about .2 inches off center, but we are going to make an escutcheon from bar stock and that should help to disguise the misalignment.

I could have still went with aluminum pillars too, but I kept going back to a poured pillar as equal or better. What we are going to do is index off the hole using a tight fitting drill in the chuck and then get the stock locked in place and then replace the drill with an end mill and spot face the stock and pillar to accept an escutcheon for the stock bolt so that the force is in direct alignment with the center of the front action screw hole in the barrel stud. Any tipping of the escutcheon that allows one side to sit proud will be filed down once it is glued in, before the stock is finished.

I put a piece of .01 Pipe Wrap on the front half of the stud and bedded it tight to the bottom and back side of the stud. That Devcon Steel is pretty tough stuff, it is not going anywhere.

While pouring the pillar I bedded the barrel tight back to the action and about an inch and a half in front of the stud with about 3/16ths inch deep Devcon as well.

I did the rear rear action screw at the same time with the same poured pillar and and bedded the rear of the action tight to the trigger cutout in the stock.

I pulled it apart this morning and everything is looking good. The magazine holder is sitting dead square in it's cutout. The only thing touching the barreled action are the two pads of Devcon.

I am going to do a little cleanup with a burr tonight when I get home and then wait on the brown Score High Pro Bed to show up. My plan is to bed the sides of the action tight and I don't want a black line there. I like brown Pro Bed it is real hard to see on a walnut stock.

I will be bedding the rest of the barrel to .02 Pipe Wrap with the brown Pro Bed too. That way if any water gets between the barrel and the stock (not that it ever rains in western Washington) it is not going to be absorbed by the stock.

I ordered new pins and springs today, along with a Trigger Adjustment Screw that I had to center drill progressively larger and then heat up the magazine holder before hitting the shell of the Trigger Adjustment Screw with Freon from an upside down can of Dust Off compressed air and a Safety Detent Pin for a Model 69 and think everything is ready to go together. The Model 69 Trigger Adjustment Screw and Trigger Spring are the Winchester Service replacement part. If that Model 69 Safety Detent Pin won't work we will just make one up on the lathe out of drill rod. Thought I would give the Model 69 parts a try first. They look to be almost identical trigger assemblies.

We are going to start with all new new factory springs and assess things before changing or altering anything because we have no experience with the Model 43. The Triger Pivot Pin has corrosion on it, but the hole in the trigger looks good. If it is not a good fit we will drill out the pivot hole in the trigger and make a bushing for it. One thing I know about simple triggers, the pivots must remain square through their entire range of motion and not have any place to bind anywhere. It is a fool's errand to go chasing other issues without clearing any of those up first.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Glad I read all that and saw where your release tape
came loose. and that you didn't glue the stock to the gun
like I did on the '06. since it looks good and is zeroed, even
killed a deer with it. No big reason to break it loose.

One thing i haven't seen you say yet is what cartridge it is.
I may have missed it but, don't think so.

I have made several of my own pillars out of larger bolts
bored out on the lathe. Figured the threads would hold
better than smooth rod like some use. On one I used the hex
grooved anchor slugs. One the big gun I paid Weaver something
like $200 for his pillars and installation. I felt that was more than
enough. Poor boy like me on Soc Sec for years just can't justify
such high priced work. Counting brass and special dies I have over
$4000 in that one rifle and don't dare shoot it after having both
shoulders replaced. Recoil is wicked.

Rider and friend Jack shot it over a chrono: 250gr 99gr AA7828
turned 3200fps. that was supposed to be a Aussie buff cull rifle until
I got sick. Oh well, another wet dream wasted.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 05-10-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:20 PM

It is chambered in 22 Hornet. The rifle came off of a fishing boat thirty years ago and the barreled action was given to me by a retired gunsmith friend who had rebarreled it.

My understanding is it was covered in surface rust and the barrel was completely shot when he got it. It actually cleaned up really nicely but the serial number is barely visible, so I am going to have it laser engraved elsewhere on the receiver. Not that it needs to be to satisfy the federal law, but I live a State that makes things up as they go along. It is way past the point of being a collector item anyway.

It is chambered quite close, just closes on new PPU cases. Nobody remembers who made the barrel, but it is a good 1:14 .224 barrel is what I was told when I got it quite some time ago.

Now that I am finally getting around to doing something with it I'm curious to see just how well I can get it to shoot. The guy that chambered it has done really top notch work for me in the past.