Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Supporting Member

Default Should I

be worried

I have been looking for a left hand hornet for some time, more years than I can remember, and recently I got wind of a left hand Anschutz in 22 hornet that is in the USA.

Well I contacted the person a few weeks ago, yep they wanted to sell it I found out where they were located and contacted a few people I know in that state, I found someone who was about a 15min drive from them and they were prepared to view the rifle and let me know if it matched the photos.

Well I've been asking the person to supply contact details so my friend can view the rifle and I have never had a reply with the details.
I sent them another message a few days ago asking if they still wanted to sell it, I got a reply a few minutes latter saying yes they did, so asked for contact details so my friend could arrange a suitable time to view the rifle.......no reply.

Anyway, to ask the question what is a very tidy left hand Anschutz 1730 worth?
I know they aren't common and I'm assured this one is a factory original rifle.

I'm also beginning to think this maybe a scam, someone putting pics up and hinting it's for sale and hoping someone will send the money.

Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwishooter; 05-11-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:12 PM

Default Lefty hornet

First, I’m a 22 hornet fan. I’ve owned many 22 hornet rifles. Currently I have a sporter and heavy barrel in Anschutz 1730, both are terrific rifles. And I have an 1885 Winchester. None are for sale.
Secondly, this deal sounds a little iffy in terms of whether it’s legit. I’d proceed with a lot of caution.
Good luck.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:35 PM

Default Lefty hornet

Delete duplicate
Old 05-11-2022, 12:52 PM

Get an address of where to send funds and then google it for info and also google earth to see if info lines up. Then you can send your buddy for a recon mission… I have done that with some of the reloading supply scammers with money saving results.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:17 PM

sounds to me like someone is hoping that you want the rifle bad enough that you'll simply send funds for it, without a personnel inspection.

I'd not walk away, I'd run from the deal.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:21 PM

Ask for address to send funds, then google the address, if it shows a street address. If a post office box, then contact PO and ask about it there.
I would be very cautious, as it does appear to be a come on/scam.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Hard to pass on real rare guns but also easy to get scammed. If he won't supply an address for your buddy to view, pay for and pick up the gun I would not go anywhere near the deal. If you really want a LH hornet get a Browning Micro. Had a couple, great shooters, very nice rifles. You can find them on Gunbroker quite often. They have a much stronger action than the Anschutz ones I have had and they shoot as good or better.

Target from the last LH Browning. I sold it in 2014 as I still have way to many 22H in the collection..

Old 05-11-2022, 05:20 PM

I'd also get a phone number for the guy and talk to him. You can learn a lot from a real time conversation and not email.

You'll then also be to ask him plain and simple "can my agent come over to inspect the rifle?" The answer should be all you need to either send your guy over or just run away.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:46 PM
Supporting Member

If it were me, I think that I'd pass.....

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses, I will try the "where do I send the money" then google it.

At this stage I'm too cautious to send any money without my friend being able to view the rifle, and pay for it if it is what is in photos.

I've tried to get a phone number or an address and have been greeted with silence.

I have a few options to build a left hand Hornet, but would want to build it on an action that is more fitting to the size of the hornet case, which is why the Anschutz interests me.

To me some of the other options are like selecting an 8lb sledge hammer to drive nails.

Kiwi