Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 AM

Default Sensational Seventeens

I have never reach Todds MV's but I shoot bare snaked boolits.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Todd's 17AH and 20VT loads

with N120 were super hot in the beginning, prompting Dan Cooper to put out a warning letter. How come Todd didn't blow up any of his rifles?

The problem wasn't exactly Todd's but rather a big bottle of N120 that was apparently mislabeled. He and I had a pretty heated discussion once over this, where I confronted him with my data and suggested that his bottle of N120 was indeed pretty slow. Fact is, I upset him sufficiently that he opened another bottle and found that I was right.

In the last issue of SCN, he allowed a warning in a manuscript on the 20VTs to state this.

To his credit, he did always warn to start low and go up from there.

If you do follow his advice, and find that you are getting velocities much lower than Todd's measurements, it is significant that you realize that not all batches of most powder suppliers are the same. The VV-N powders are great, but when you switch bottles of them you should be careful to start low and MEASURE the velocity of your loads to compare them with any published data, including many of the more prominent manufacturers.

Not doing this just isn't worth the risk of blowing up a gun, getting hurt or harming someone else nearby.

Alex
Old 01-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Default mentors

The 17's and 20's have opened a new world of loading and shooting for me and with the help of many good folks on this site and like Tod Kindler sharing knowledge makes it a lot of fun. Thanks to my Saubier family. sgtg out