Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 AM

Default Cooper Owners - Issue with a vertical pin in receiver

Unable to fully seat my bore guide or use a chamber/lug recess swab tool because of a pin sticking up located at the rear portion of the bolt opening in the Model 38 receiver.

Any ideas about what it is for and any way of getting past it?

Chuck
Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 AM

I'm guessing that your 38 is an older Model 38. If so, the pin is the ejector. If you look at your bolt you will see that there is only an extractor. The newer Model 38s have a beveled ejector on the floor of the receiver. This newer design allows the bore guides to easily slip into the receiver. I'm NOT recommending this but you could remove the pin ejector and manually "eject" the fired cases by sticking your finger tip in the port but removing an unfired round would be tricky.

I use Lucas bore guides and there was a flat spot between the neck and beveled shoulder of the guide that caught on the pin in my older Model 38 stopping the guide from going in. I used a small file to remove the flat spot which allows the pin to slide on to the beveled shoulder of the bore guide which causes the pin to recess into the receiver as you push the guide in. It's a shortened version of the beveled notch on the bolt. I just twist my lug swab tool when I insert it and it seems to sort of screw itself past the pin.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:25 PM

I also use Bore guides from Mike Lucas for both my Cooper 38's in .17 AH and .218 Mashburn Bee. I have the same pins and couldn't figure out what was going on at first. It just looked like a pin of some sort and I didn't realize it was the ejector and compressed.

I finally figured out I needed to take my dremel and make more of a taper at the junction where the guide got bigger (to bolt dia) where the pin was stopping so it was compressed into it recess that same way it does when the bolt is closed. After doing that and understanding what needed to happen to get the guide fully seated I had no issues.

Neal in AZ
Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Ejector Pin

Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful.

Chuck