Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2016, 12:06 AM

I have a Shilen ar barrel it will not shoot the 25 vm very well 1-2 out of 5 will not be a clean hole and groups are just over 1 inch. Fun shooting starlings and pigeons just vaporized.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
Tried a search for this reported issue, but nothing came up.

I have a 17 Mach IV with a 1-10" twist barrel. Have you had any issues with this bullet key holing (sp?) with that twist? The 25 gr HP does not have an issue, but it does not open enough (imo) when shooting sage rats. I can go to the 20 gr V-max, but want the greater bc, if possible.

Chuck
I had 25 gr vmax's keyhole on me with reduced loads just over a thousand fps in a Cz527 17HH which is 1:9 twist. No issues sending them fast though. Never had an issue with the 25gr HP at any speed from 930 fps to over 3000 fps..

My 22-250 (1:14) doesn't like the 55 gr vmaxes at all, but will send 55 gr speers etc with no keyhole's, its the length of the bullet I suspect.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 AM

Default Shoulder angle

George:

Unfortunately, the shoulder angle is 30 degrees. Would have preferred 40 degrees. I shot the Hornady 25 gr HP @ 3750 fps which would usually group around 0.5" @ 100 yds without wind. Remington 25 gr bullets did not shoot well and 25 gr Bergers shot the same as the Hornadys. When the gun was built and tested Hornady V-Maxes did not exist.

The annoying thing is that I would get 3-4 shots in a small cluster and there would always be 1-2 shots away. Could never get a round group. Never checked the Hornadys for BTO consistency. Wanted to go to 25 gr V-Max for explosiveness and tighter groups.

Chuck
Old 12-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Recently I tried the 25 gr V-Max in my ten twist Cooper chambered in 17 Remington. Results were not great with the shots changing POI quite a bit from factory rounds and a large loss of accuracy. Rounds showed only slight oblong shape on target that could be missed if accuracy was not in question. I only worked up to about 3/4 of the powder charge that books show might work, before going to the 20 gr. V-Max. Because of that, I do not know if it would have worked at the top end powder charge. I made an assumption that it would not, then moved on. With a 17 Mach IV/ Fireball, the lower velocities could create more problems. I have heard of some 10 twist 17 Remingtons shooting these well. I am not sure if I have seen success stories with the Mach IV/Fireball in ten twist.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:24 PM

Default 10 twist & 25 gr V-Max

Well it happened. Obvious key holing with my 10 twist barrel. Will go back to my Speer 25 gr HP FB as I can shoot 1/2" groups with them. Perhaps the 20 gr V-Max will work, but will test later as I have a lot varmint rigs to wring out with bullet changes or ladder testing of new or newer guns.

Chuck
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM

That's why Hornady says they won't shoot in a 1-10 twist rifle. The Hornady 25 grain H.P. will work in a 1-10.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

my cz 527 17 v-raptor has a rechambered factory cz 17 rem barrel on it. they are suppose to be 1-9 barrels. my 17 v-raptor shoots the 25 gr vmax into under .50 at 3125 fps. I guess if you have enough twist you don't need speed.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:17 AM

I used to use the Hornady 25 grain HP for fireforming in my 17AH, saving the 25 V-max bullets for the formed cases. The 25 HP is so much more "active" on targets (critters) that I reversed this procedure. and the 25 HPs get the "final" reloads. They are great bullets, no matter the twist..If you have not tried them in your 1/10 twist, you should!

Bill
Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Well I made a mistake

I should have said that I would be going back to the Hornady 25gr HP not Speer. As others have indicated (Bill being the last) it works acceptably well in my 10 twist barrel.

Chuck
Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
I used to use the Hornady 25 grain HP for fireforming in my 17AH, saving the 25 V-max bullets for the formed cases. The 25 HP is so much more "active" on targets (critters) that I reversed this procedure. and the 25 HPs get the "final" reloads. They are great bullets, no matter the twist..If you have not tried them in your 1/10 twist, you should!

Bill
The only negative comparing the two is wind drift. Fortunately in Wyoming you don't get any wind! i wish the 25hp came in bulk packs also.