Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-31-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My favourite fur bullet for the 223 and 221 FB is the Hornady 50 grain SPSX (Spire Point Super Explosive). No exit wounds, total devastation inside all the way to 400 yards. Max velocity is about 36000 fps or the jackets start to separate. If you want to run them faster use the 55 SPSX, it was designed for the 22-250 and 220 Swift. Much cheaper than the plastic tipped bullets.

The Blitzking work as good or better than the Vmax. Also, the 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade if your rifle will shoot them well. Issue with the lighter bullets is wind and speed at longer distances.
I know the blitzkings shoot great in my gun but have seen specially the 40gr vmax highly recommended twice now and there slightly cheaper so I figured I’d try them. I only have 100 blitzkings left so I’ll load them up regardless to try them and see how they shoot but if the vmax shoot as well and are cheaper it’s a win win as long as the hides are good on either or both.

I’ll look into the spsx as well. Thank you
Old 12-31-2021, 04:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

like george i to have shot a couple box cars full of coyotes. 40 gr vmax and 40 gr balistictips did the job without exit holes. killed my fair share with texas heart shots with a 221 fb 40 gr balistictip at 3600 fps. also used the speer 52 gr hp with good success due to the large hollow point goes in but doesn't come out.
in the end speed kills and the 40 gr's act like a 17 remingtom when pushed to near max 223 velocities.

considering the current bullet, availability you may have to shoot what you have.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:18 PM

I have always used the Sierra 1390 projectile with good results. A few of my friends use the Sierra 1410 and like it.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
like george i to have shot a couple box cars full of coyotes. 40 gr vmax and 40 gr balistictips did the job without exit holes. killed my fair share with texas heart shots with a 221 fb 40 gr balistictip at 3600 fps. also used the speer 52 gr hp with good success due to the large hollow point goes in but doesn't come out.
in the end speed kills and the 40 gr's act like a 17 remingtom when pushed to near max 223 velocities.

considering the current bullet, availability you may have to shoot what you have.
Thank you for your input. I will definitely be starting here. Light and fast!! I will get my hands on the 40 gr vmax. Luckily I found a few hundred so I’ll purchase them and start with that around the same load as the 40gr blitzkings. I’ll test the blitzkings while I’m at it and see how they due for fur. The vmax are just cheaper which is nice and my local store Carries them.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:59 PM

Because they suck when penatration is needed.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:02 PM

Blitzing and vmaxes are about the same thing.
Nosler blips are a much better (overall) bullet in my opinion.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkon View Post

I've heard the same thing from several friends who use a 223 for Coyotes. That and the Speer 52hp flat base which came very highly recommended. I'm going to try the Speers and it helps that they are not to expensive. The 223 is not my normal Coyote rifle, but since I have an abundance of them and fur around here doesn't amount to much pocket change I thought I would experiment. The 17 Rem. and 204 are my go to Coyote rounds and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkon View Post
On reliability? Or fur damage? I don’t mind spending more for better. The blitzkings are the same price. I just know the vmax I can get for sure and came recommended highly by a few guys (40gr pushed hard).
Old 12-31-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
I've heard the same thing from several friends who use a 223 for Coyotes. That and the Speer 52hp flat base which came very highly recommended. I'm going to try the Speers and it helps that they are not to expensive. The 223 is not my normal Coyote rifle, but since I have an abundance of them and fur around here doesn't amount to much pocket change I thought I would experiment. The 17 Rem. and 204 are my go to Coyote rounds and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Well I’ll try and get my hands on the 1 box of Speers to try. Luckily my brother I load for too and he shoots 223 so I can load him with the speers if they shoot and he can test for me while I test the vmax/blitzkings/ballistic tips

My go to is a 20 tactical as well. The thing just flat out hammers. This particular was finished early this year (full custom) to replace my previous 20 tac. I’m also debating on building a 17 rem and selling (who am I kidding) just adding another coyote rifle. Just can’t figure out the components I want to use and then the 1 223 will go back to dedicated trainer, 1 be a truck rifle, and 17 and 20 be the top two.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_3479 View Post
On reliability? Or fur damage? I don’t mind spending more for better. The blitzkings are the same price. I just know the vmax I can get for sure and came recommended highly by a few guys (40gr pushed hard).

I think he means they penetrate better.