Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Looks to me like the sizing die was not set right as the sized case shorter than it should be. I just took a piece of 221 brass (formed from 223) and ran it thru my Hornady 20vt die. I did not turn the neck but this is what I got.
221---oal=1.398" neck=.253" body shoulder dia=.360" base=.3725"

20vt---oal=1.40" neck=.232" body shoulder dia=.356" base=.371"

I started off with a piece of brass that was sized with a 221 fl die. Hope this helps, keep in mind I didn't turn the neck so I wouldn't shoot this case until I did. Normally I turn the neck before necking down as this will leave the end of the cut on the shoulder rather than the neck/shoulder junction.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
Looks to me like the sizing die was not set right as the sized case shorter than it should be. I just took a piece of 221 brass (formed from 223) and ran it thru my Hornady 20vt die. I did not turn the neck but this is what I got.
221---oal=1.398" neck=.253" body shoulder dia=.360" base=.3725"

20vt---oal=1.40" neck=.232" body shoulder dia=.356" base=.371"

I started off with a piece of brass that was sized with a 221 fl die. Hope this helps, keep in mind I didn't turn the neck so I wouldn't shoot this case until I did. Normally I turn the neck before necking down as this will leave the end of the cut on the shoulder rather than the neck/shoulder junction.

After trying a couple of different things, I took a piece of brass and marked the base about .25" up above the bottom taper line. I ran this through the press and saw a line that looked like it was not going in the die deep enough.

I took the shell holder and removed .02 and this allowed the die to go down a little bit more. Problem solved. It now drops into the chamber and the bolt easily closes.

Without the expander plug in, the measurements are:

20VT---oal=.1.38 neck= .223 body shoulder= .366 base+ .372

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Supporting Member

I don't like it Jim. Your neck and shoulder were way out of proportion in the photo and then you put it 20 thousands deeper into that die. Something is way off. Fire one with a moderate powder charge and compare the fire formed brass to one of your resized. Be careful.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 PM

Default 20 VT Case Sizing Question

Can't add much to what some have said about either your die is a bad one, or you have the adjustment all out of whack ( but can't really see how you would do that, if you followed directions, that came with the die set) There is really no way you should have this problem. I have only to run my 221 FB case's into the 20 VT bushing die, with two bushings, reducing the neck only, down to around .227 then reloading and fire forming into the 20 VT chamber. Same with the 20 SCC case's and a bushing die. Bill K
Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Can't add much to what some have said about either your die is a bad one, or you have the adjustment all out of whack ( but can't really see how you would do that, if you followed directions, that came with the die set) There is really no way you should have this problem. I have only to run my 221 FB case's into the 20 VT bushing die, with two bushings, reducing the neck only, down to around .227 then reloading and fire forming into the 20 VT chamber. Same with the 20 SCC case's and a bushing die. Bill K
Tell me more about the 20VT bushing die with two bushings you use.

So you never full length resize your cases?

I've only had one really bad case coming out of the die, it is shown in the first photo.

The I had four rounds that had the ring around the neck while testing my die at different points.

I could see the case was not seating completely in the chamber which was telling me the case was not getting completely resized, but I couldn't run the case up in the die any further since it was touching the shell holder.

I removed a little from the shell holder reset the die per the instructions and then the case fit the chamber.

Thanks for your help. I received some good information here and appreciate everyone's help.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:28 PM

[quote=jimreed1948;275676]Tell me more about the 20VT bushing die with two bushings you use.

So you never full length resize your cases?

I have taken 221 FB cases down in just one step, using a .227 bushing. Sizing only the neck.
With formed 221 FB out of .223 cases, I step them down first with a .230 bushing, then the .227, again only neck sizing, after the initial forming of the case from 223 brass. This is due to those case being thick in the neck and needing trimmed and neck turned first, and annealing.
I only full length size, if after numerous firing, the base seems to have grown and the cases feel snugger going into the chamber.
At this point, I now use only the Whidden die, that I bought for my 20 Scc and it is a bushing die also. Have since gone to it instead of the standard VT. Will hang onto some of the standard VT stuff, in case I build another one. Bill K