Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Default Unbelievable day in the woods (MD)

As some of you know, I've been hunting a LOT and passing quite a few smaller bucks, waiting for the big one this year. The rut has been on and off here the past few weeks. Had a couple good days of activity, but today...was just unreal. I don't think I've ever been out and witnessed that kind of rut activity.

The day started early, but at 5AM it was raining, so I went back to bed. I got up at 6:30 and it wasn't raining. CRAP! So I jump in the shower and get my gear together to head out. Been hunting in different clothes and had stuff everywhere. Got on site in MD at 7:30. On my way in, I bumped not one, but two bucks out of their beds. I was discouraged, but it is November.

Not long after I get up, I notice movement at the edge of the field, about 150 yards away. A MONSTER 8 point is locked down on a doe. I grunted, snort wheezed, doe bleated. He wasn't leaving her. After 10-15 minutes watching him, he moved off. Never saw him again.

About 8:30 I catch movement in front of me. A nice 8 is pushing a doe around, headed towards me. I was up and ready to shoot. As they got closer, a big spike came by and ran the doe. The 8 followed and out across the field they went. Dangit! Ten more yards is all I needed.

Shortly thereafter, ANOTHER bigger 8 comes running the spike and a doe out in the field. They circled a half dozen times and eventually were making their way right to me. The 8 pushed the spike out and went looking for the doe, who had bedded about 60 yards from me. He was like a bird dog, nose down, circling for the scent. He inched closer, but eventually got on the doe again. I had one opportunity at 38-40 yards, but no shot angle. Then they moved down into the hollow. I watched him ravaging a tree for 10-15 minutes, and then they disappeared. A 5 point came thru sometime thereafter. That was the 7th buck I'd seen in 2 hours.

At about 10:30, I start thinking I need to pee, get down, go to the truck, grab a sandwich and get right back up. I hadn't seen anything for a while. I didn't want to leave. Then I caught movement from the hollow. Here they come!

The doe worked her way thru the briars slowly, nibbling on the rose bushes as she made her way by. The buck slowly followed. She passed in an opening and I hit her with the rangefinder. 35 yards. I can make that shot. Then she turned away. OH NO! The buck could have cut her off, but I guess the rose bushes were too thick. He followed her exact route.

As he got to the spot where I ranged the doe, I drew. He stopped perfectly. I settled the pin and don't even remember releasing the arrow. WHACK! It's a hit! As he bounds away, I vividly remember seeing blood coming out behind the shoulder. He made it a total of 130 feet, stopped and fell over. WOOHOOOO!

He's not the P&Y buck I dreamed of, but my best deer so far. I killed him exactly 10 yards away from where I killed my previous best, and not 5 yards from the tree I killed it from. This is I think the 4th good buck I've gotten from this small patch in the third week of November. I don't know what it is, but they like to run does here. He was 155 pounds dressed on the scale. I think he was 3.5-4.5 years old. He's 16" wide and his G2's were 8.5 inches. Really nice, symmetrical rack. He's going to look good on the wall. This ain't Kansas or Illinois. This is a really GREAT buck for around here. Probably scores around 120-125 inches...not that it matters to me.

Where he layed.

Better pics.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:41 PM

Well I am in Kansas and that is a good sized deer by any standards. As far as I am concerned any deer with a bow is a trophy. Same goes for a handgun.
I quit chasing horns several years ago. Lost a lot of my private ground I was hunting on, over 2000 acres all at once.
Don't think yours is small. Buddy of mine shot one with his XP and layed the pistol on the side of the deer. Grip was at the hip and the end of the barrel was touching close to center of the front shoulder. Had to have been a late fawn, I have had dogs bigger.
Good job and a great story. Now the work begins.
Jeff
Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

Yes sir that is a mighty fine deer, good job.

Tom
Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 AM

Thumbs up

Thumbs up, Charlie!!

Kevin
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 AM

Default Unbelievable day in the woods (MD)

Very nice deer with stick and string.. Thanks for sharing the photo's and story of the hunt. Bill K
Old 11-14-2017, 03:13 AM

Great buck ,shot, and story! Congratulations!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:27 AM

That is a great looking buck. Congrats on that.

Pete
Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM

I am headed to Kansas in December for Blackpowder Cartridge Whitetail. I would be happy with a deer like this, it is bigger than any other whitail i have taken.

Congratulations.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 PM

Very nice, and it sounds like you have a great spot to keep using.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Great deer! thanks for sharing.