Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 AM

Default .20 VT Case Sizing Question

Just getting started reloading the 20 VT and have some questions regarding the brass after sizing. I didn't want to proceed if what I did is not correct.

These are the components I'm using:

Hornady 20 VarTarg 2 die set
Imperial Sizing Die Wax (used sparingly)
Mica Dry Lubricant (dip to neck area, not case body)
New Nosler .221 FB brass
RCBS Rock Chucker press

Rifle: Cooper Model 21, .232 neck

I know the shoulder gets reformed during the sizing process but looking at the reformed case and the case before reforming, there is quite a bit of difference.

Bolt will not close on resize case.

Thanks for the help.

I made a very slight adjustment to the sizing die and tried one more piece. Notice how different this resized case looks at the neck versus the prior resized case.
Bolt still will not close on case. The OAL case length is now 1.3825 versus the 1.3610 on the prior resized case.

Last edited by jimreed1948; 11-18-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:10 AM

Somethings definately not right, I think your crushing your case down at the neck shoulder junction.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:13 AM

Raise your die up about a half turn and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:32 PM

I started backing off the sizing die by a quarter of a turn intervals up to 1 full turn. At one full turn neck bulge comes into play.

I then took the decapping pin and expander plug out and repeated the process, but no change.

From what I can see, the case drops smoothly into the chamber, but it does not seat flush so the bolt doesn't close.

I haven't had the problem with the neck as shown in the first photo any longer, the brass looks good, but the bolt will not close on a resized case since it's not seating flush in the chamber.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 PM

The way your case base is expanding, I'd guess you're sizing it too much.

Try backing off on the sizer, and size the case without the expander in the die until the case chambers. After it's sized, put the expander back in and run it through the neck only. I had a problem with mine early on, where the expander ball was pulling the neck/shoulder area of the case up. Polished the daylights out of the expander and created a rounded radius on the top part of it, and that cured the problem. I used Hornady dies too.

Making a chamber cast with Cerrosafe and comparing measurements may also be a good idea.

Cooper bolts don't have a lot of camming action, so be careful that you don't start to put too much pressure on the bolt handle, or you may be sending the rifle in to have the bolt handle re-soldered. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to break a bolt handle off. Found that out the hard way on a different caliber rifle.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Supporting Member

Try a different resizing die, that one is screwed up
Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
The way your case base is expanding, I'd guess you're sizing it too much.

Try backing off on the sizer, and size the case without the expander in the die until the case chambers. After it's sized, put the expander back in and run it through the neck only. I had a problem with mine early on, where the expander ball was pulling the neck/shoulder area of the case up. Polished the daylights out of the expander and created a rounded radius on the top part of it, and that cured the problem. I used Hornady dies too.

Making a chamber cast with Cerrosafe and comparing measurements may also be a good idea.

I'll check sizing some more case without the expander. I've only checked one so far.

I was thinking the same along the lines of the expander possibly pulling the neck/shoulder area of the case upwards. That's why I removed it for now. I will try some more cases at different intervals to see how it looks.

I have some Cerrosafe and was just heading to the garage to make a casting when this came up. I'll try further testing with the size as mentioned before making a casting.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Try a different resizing die, that one is screwed up
It could be messed up, but I doubt it. It's a new die set and I just started using it. You could be right, but the problem probably lies with me setting it up correctly.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Supporting Member

I just did 700 Remington brass with mine didn't lose one. Set the die up normally for full length resize, die touching the top of the shell holder. Lube with Imperial and they run through like butter. You got a screwed up die.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:54 PM

The dents in the shoulder, the expansion at the web area, I am with the rest,back the die off some.

My angle on how I would go at it.
Take all the decap and expanded OUT completely.
Chamfer inside and out.
Lube nothing but the case body, and below the shoulder a bit.
Magic marker/black sharpie the whole neck. Sneak up on the neck shoulder jct.
When close to neck,shoulder jct, try the case in the rifle. If it won't go sneak up on it a bit more.

I would clean that die real good inside with some solvent. I have seen new dies that have been stored for a long period, all of the rust preventative run down to the bottom and get hard and dry. Almost like a soft line of JB weld.