Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-13-2019, 04:41 AM

My ONLY issue with the 527 is that abomination of a triggerguard that is for a double set trigger. One of these days I am going to get the bottom metal, cut the trigger guard loop off, then put on a nice looking one that is sized for a single trigger.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM

[quote=albertacoyotecaller;278733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post

I agree. I have never really seen it as an issue at all.
I have no issues with the magazine, I think chopping it up is a backwards step. Why would you reduce you mag capacity? It works, solid and reliable. Why spend money to go backwards?
527 is a solid workhorse. I have 2, love them.

Bill
Old 02-13-2019, 10:56 AM

I'm down to seven 527's now, if the trigger guard and magazine bother you buy something else, as to the safety its more positive than most. Whatever floats your boat, CZ certainly isn't having problems selling them.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

Some like/love CZ rifles for various reasons and others don't. The protruding magazine is probably the most obvious negative item mentioned in that discussion as being a less than desirable feature. The "reverse" safety is probably the second. Neither are total game changers for me as to whether I buy a CZ or not. But that's why its great that we all have choices. There's no reason to get excited either way and to throw a plus or minus hissy fit about a certain rifle and to say that only "my personal favorite" rifle style is usable.

I own a couple of CZ rifles and they are very serviceable, but they are not what a great rifle is made like in my mind. I'm myself a Mauser fan, first and foremost, and when someone calls a CZ a "mini-Mauser", I'm betting that old Peter Paul belches in his coffin when he hears a rifle with a detachable magazine being called a Mauser, even though a CZ also has controlled round feeding. One of Mauser's lifetime achievements as a rifle designer, in his own words, was the internal staggered box magazine to eliminate the protruding external magazine on a rifle.

It's the same same for me when someone calls a Model 70 Winchester or a Ruger 77 a Mauser because they both have controlled round feeding and internal box magazines. That does not make them a Mauser. All rifle designs are simply that, and just about all have + and - features for everyone. None are probably perfect.

Some people like certain design features and others don't, no matter what the design feature might be. I personally like controlled round feed and a Model 70 style safety, but that hasn't kept me from buying a bunch of Remington 700 and Sako rifles in my lifetime. In a post here a few days ago I mentioned a recent Sako purchase that I made without the need of outside mentoring, in spite of its design "flaws".

In my earlier life I "missed" a lot of lunches (several year's worth to be exact) to finance the building of two very nice American Classic style rifles on 98 Mauser actions built by a couple of very well-recognized custom rifle smiths of the time. One is built on an 09 Argentine action and the other is built on an FN Belgian 98 military action. Both actions were highly modified and refined as to "features" but both retained the basic Mauser design features in the process. In total they are nothing more than Mauser rifles with other design features that I like added to them.

But that's just me. YMMV as the big boys say..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM

True that "we like what we like", there is something for everyone out there. Heck, if that wasn't the case, we'd all be driving purple convertible GEO Metros and sipping soy latte's.
I wen't down the CZ rabbit hole. Had a 204 in a 527 the first year that combo was introduced. Shot a lot of ground squirrels with it. Found it was sub par for coyotes (with my bullet choice, which was poor in the 32gr Vmax).

Sold the rifle to a buddy. Then wen't 15 years without another CZ, no reason, just fact.
Then, bought a 221 fireball a few years ago and they all started growing from there....17 hornet, 223,222,22K hornet, 17 rem.

Needless to say, I think they all shoot pretty well and have a lot going for them. However, I am down to a K hornet (which is for sale) and a 222 that will be for sale someday. I have found preferrence in my Ruger 77 models and Kimber 84 rifles.

And, if you carry a rifle underneath the action instead of using a sling, a drooping magazine is a pain in the hand(and eyes). And, though the backwards safety wasn't a deal breaker, it's certainly not a preference.

Sometimes it takes us a while to decided what suits us best. I'm figuring out I have some strong preferences, and they are not towards CZ.

Nothing "Wrong" with them though. If you want it, buy it and enjoy it.
Life is good and choices are vast..........you just gotta pony up the dough.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D. View Post
I'm down to seven 527's now, if the trigger guard and magazine bother you buy something else, as to the safety its more positive than most. Whatever floats your boat, CZ certainly isn't having problems selling them.
I did, several Anschutz 1730.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Default CZ 527 Hornet actions

That is why we have various models and brands of firearms and calibers. So we EACH can pick and choose what we want, enjoy and benefit from. I never, or try not too criticize what the
other guy likes, as we both have choices and go with what we want and spend our money on.
It would not be much fun if we only had one or two and were stuck with that.
I guess that is why I pick what I want, what works and then I just go out and enjoy the devil out of it shooting and going after the game/critters I also want. Bill K
Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM

I am not "in love" with the bottom metal/ magazine or the reversed safety, but I do think it's the best Hornet action out there, for the money. I like a pretty gun as much as any. but in reality I am more of a function first, as the multiple Savage rifles in my safes show. As for a stock, probably a Boyds Platinum in Walnut.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
I have found preferrence in my Ruger 77 models...
What do you like in particular about the Rugers? I have a 77/22 Hornet and the receiver is longer than the one in my 7mm WSM. The receiver is also pretty thin/spindly and it relies on the stock for support, meaning I can change POI significantly by how I hold it and a bipod is definitely a no-go. The bolt locks at the back so the stretchy bolt/receiver is also a little hard on brass (compared to my cooper m38 in the same chambering). With the 24" barrel, it's one of the longest rifles I have too. It shoots well, but it's not my favorite.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM

That little 527 action is pretty enticing..............

Pretty nice action for the hornet stuff. The extras with the magazine etc can be touched to flush type; easier for me to carry.

Metric threads, but has been satisfactorily done English wise for decades.

The double set triggers were once available on that action, maybe in BRNO time. I have a new in the box BRNO Fox that is really today's 527, always thought I would K it to a 17 or 22; but still in the box.

I asked one time at a Shot Show if my BRNO Fox single set trigger could be updated to double set triggers like their then current offerings. I was told to take a hike and never come back. Not bought any CZ since, but wavering a bit now.

Double set triggers are an acquired taste over the single set. Just an European thing. Just a bit different. I wish mine was double set, but is not. I have put NECG double set triggers on Mauser actions a time or two, messed with the kicker, and hardened said kicker.............and I like them fwiw.

But as far the offering at MidSouth, hard to beat a mini action for 400 bucks or so, all steel; good rep, barrels are a dime a dozen. I assume stocks are out there to, but never looked beyond semi inlets.

A deal for the right guy.