Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 PM

Default 222 Barrel Length Question

I have a 222, built on a 700 Rem action, Broughton 26" bbl with a very tight neck chamber. Recently acquired, seems to shoot decently, not had much time to work up a great load for it, but was wondering about cutting the bbl back to 22 inches or so. The bbl currently mics at about .870 at the muzzle, and about 1.25 at the receiver, consequently it's quite heavy and somewhat cumbersome with the 26" length.

It's still going to be weighty even with 4" off the front end.....any thoughts pro or con on reasons to cut shorter or it or leave it as it is?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 PM

I would cut it with out question I would go even shorter, fast becoming a fan of less is more
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 PM

The 222 doesn't really shoot a great deal of powder so it won't really lose all that much in the velocity department. Having some with barrels in the 18-22 inch range, I wouldn't think twice about chopping a 222 back to 20-22 inches.

Heck, I had my 22-250 chopped down from 24 to 18 inches and couldn't be happier, but I run most everything suppressed so shorter barrels when you run them with a can is definitely more convenient.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 PM

For years, the 700 and 722 in 222 remington were 24 and 26 respectively.

You did not say the intended specialized use, but I can see a long barrel in the field being heavy and cumbersome. If it is a bench or varmint sitting type thing, then not so bad a deal with the long heavy barrel.

Some are occupied with rifle balance, some not.

Some of the barrel length depends on your own psyche. I like long barrels on my rifles.

I am average sized, so the further away the blast is from my face, the better I like it. A 20" anything is loud and blastly to most..........with some people; things like that are a moot point.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:26 AM

Should have mentioned intended usage....mostly crows or whatever else might show up, normal max range about 250 yds. Won't be doing anything competitive from the bench, other than load development, but still like to get things at 1/4" or under. My CZ's with handloads easily accomplish that.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

I leave them as long as possible, It will allow for a couple setbacks. More bang for your buck so to speak. If you aren't using it as a carry rifle it shouldn't be a big deal. If balance and handling are a priority I would look for a Sako sporter and run with it. I've got 2, one early with a 16 twist barrel and a later Vixen with a 14 twist barrel and both rifles shoot ragged holes at 100. The early one is a little fussy with bullets, it really loves those old Winchester 46 grain hollow points. The Vixen shoots just about anything up to 50 grain.

Aaron
Old 02-16-2019, 02:49 PM

As others have said I'm all for short barrels until the blast gets uncomfortable or caused issues on the enjoyment of shooting the gun. The tough thing is where that line is. I agree 20-22 should be fine. If your shooting crows and such i doubt you will need multiple set backs as volume will be lower and the 222 isn't a crazy barrel burner. Just some thoughts. I find myself appreciating balance in a rifle more then ever. Too heavy and awkward means the gun stays home more often then not.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM

If you ALWAYS have hearing protection available, i would go for 20". If there are times when you don't leave it at 24". Anyone who grew up on a farm knows exactly what I am talking about.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:08 PM

How much or how many times you can set a barrel back and rechamber has little to nothing to do with how much you cut off the muzzle end. It's all about how much shank the barrel has and many factory barrels don't have a lot of shank so you are more limited on how much or how many times you can set a barrel back and rechamber it. Aftermarket custom barrels, generally, have a longer shank on the chamber end of the barrel so that gives you a bit more flexibility, but most factory barrels, not so much.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
How much or how many times you can set a barrel back and rechamber has little to nothing to do with how much you cut off the muzzle end. It's all about how much shank the barrel has and many factory barrels don't have a lot of shank so you are more limited on how much or how many times you can set a barrel back and rechamber it. Aftermarket custom barrels, generally, have a longer shank on the chamber end of the barrel so that gives you a bit more flexibility, but most factory barrels, not so much.
All well and said, however the OP states his barrel is a Broughton 26" Measuring 1.25 at the breech and .870 at the muzzle which would allow for several setbacks. If he chooses to go that route...………..

Aaron