Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM

Default Kimber Quality

I have been wanting a Kimber 84m Varmint or "longmaster classic" for sometime. Partial to the .223, I opted for that caliber/chambering. Eurooptic was very helpful, particularly a young man named Ari who took pictures for me of the only Kimber 84m Longmaster Classic they had in stock. I can't find this model on Kimbers website any longer, looks like they may have discontinued the "longmaster classic". I'm happy I snagged a wood stocked 223 because they only offer 204 and 22-250 in the "varmint". The only "varmint style" 223 I see they offer is in the pro varmint (stainless laminate version).

Sticking to my Valentines tradition of rifle purchasing, this one showed up and was transferred Feb 14th.

I swapped the trigger return spring, leaving the factory sear engagement alone. This dropped the pull from 4lbs crisp to 1.5lbs crisp. "Ernie the gunsmith" offers springs for various makes/models and I used his in this Kimber. I highly recommend him and his springs.
Torqued the action screws to 35 inch/lbs in the pillar/glass bedded stock.

I mounted a Weaver "new model" Grand Slam 5-20x50mm "multi stop" scope in Talley Lightweight (high) rings. After cleaning the rifle thoroughly, I headed to the range.
I won't get into my rifle break-in procedure, but this one "broke in" quickly. It seems to be a really quality barrel, as one shot of Outer's Foam Bore cleaner to soak overnight easily cleaned out 79 rounds worth of fouling. No copper left on the lands.
Bore feels smooth and consistent when pushing a tight patch down it. I'm very impressed.

This one is going to see a lot of use in the near future. Rock chucks beware.

Here are three of the best groups at 100 yards with FACTORY FIOCCHI 50gr V-max ammo.
Nothing shot over 3/4" and I shot many, many groups. Seemed when I squeezed the trigger correctly, the rifle wanted to cluster. I'm excited to put some reloads through it.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:28 PM

I like a lot of "burl" and starburst figure or fiddle back on rifle stocks. However, this classic straight grain with tons of mineral streaking really lights me up. I think this little Kimber is classy.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Kimber Quality

Nice looking purchase there and it looks like it will shoot well and do the job. Like the looks of the SS fluted barrel, have one like that on one of my 204 Ruger's. Bill K
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Nice looking purchase there and it looks like it will shoot well and do the job. Like the looks of the SS fluted barrel, have one like that on one of my 204 Ruger's. Bill K

Thanks Bill.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:44 PM

It will be nice to shoot it in something warmer than 35 degrees

Old 02-16-2019, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member

Nice looking rifle, Austin.......... Kimber rifles are indeed eye candy and most shoot extremely well. I own a far less pretty Kimber Montana in 223 Rem and it drives tacks. It and a few other Kimbers in my closet have made me happy. Nary a bad one in the bunch.

BTW - BRRRRRRRRRRRR................

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Nice looking rifle, Austin.......... Kimber rifles are indeed eye candy and most shoot extremely well. I own a far less pretty Kimber Montana in 223 Rem and it drives tacks. It and a few other Kimbers in my closet have made me happy. Nary a bad one in the bunch.

BTW - BRRRRRRRRRRRR................

-BCB

Hal, a Montana in 223 would be SWEET!! Pretty in it's own right

I don't know Hal, you and I must be some lucky sons of guns..........I heard "Kimber Roulette" was a losing game. So far I'm two for two, kind of like my Rugers
Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Hal, a Montana in 223 would be SWEET!! Pretty in it's own right

I don't know Hal, you and I must be some lucky sons of guns..........I heard "Kimber Roulette" was a losing game. So far I'm two for two, kind of like my Rugers

It just goes to show ya' that sometime not knowing what you're doing according to the internet experts has its benefits, Austin................... I did have a loser a few years back (10+?) but that happens with all of them.

I'm currently 7 for 7 on the Kimbers and I bet when # 8 arrives that it will be a good 'un too. Right now this Sako 6.5x55 has me intrigued, and I'm needing to get some 130 grain Sierra bullet ammo loaded for it first before "moving ahead".

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-16-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Supporting Member

The only Kimber I've got is a KoO, a 223 single shot varminter with fluted barrel and walnut stock, which would drive tacks (if I shot tacks) but it does drop rabbits quiet well if I miss it's my fault not the rifles.

Just a shame it's a right handed rifle I'd swap it for a leftie pretty quick if I had the offer.

How do the latter Kimber offerings compare to the Kimber of Oregon rifles?

Kiwi
Old 02-16-2019, 11:08 PM

That is a very nice piece of Walnut! It would be an honor for a Rock Chuck to fall to such a nice rifle. I have a Kimber of Oregon Mini in 22 Lr. it is a shooter. I have read a bunch of bad press about the newer Kimbers. There is
going to be a problem with any manufacturer from time to time. Glad to read a good report! I guess the people that have good Kimbers are out shooting them instead of staring at a computer.
Bill