Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

not sure what it is about the Fiocchi ammo but my 223 Montana shoots bug holes with them. shoots so well I haven't tinkered with it in a couple years.
nice looking rifle you have there SW.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
That is a very nice piece of Walnut! It would be an honor for a Rock Chuck to fall to such a nice rifle. I have a Kimber of Oregon Mini in 22 Lr. it is a shooter. I have read a bunch of bad press about the newer Kimbers. There is
going to be a problem with any manufacturer from time to time. Glad to read a good report! I guess the people that have good Kimbers are out shooting them instead of staring at a computer.
Bill

I "read" that they had quality issues but in the past 10 years have rectified a majority of them. This recent 223 of mine had December 2018 on the box, so It's a very, very recent example. I can't find a single flaw on the rifle anywhere, fit and finish is better than some coopers I've handled. Barrel is perfectly centered and floating in the channel. The bedding is spot on, pillars are perfectly contacting, etc. The barrel feels like a custom and cleans like one too.

In any event, I'm sure your right. Most of us who actually shoot seem to have little issue, funny how that works.

My experience with Kimber is the same as Ruger...........both stellar. Of course Kimber is a cut above.

I've heard about all these no shooting Rugers.........have yet to see one.
I'll just count myself lucky
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
not sure what it is about the Fiocchi ammo but my 223 Montana shoots bug holes with them. shoots so well I haven't tinkered with it in a couple years.
nice looking rifle you have there SW.
Thank you, I really am excited about this new Kimber.
I agree that Fiocchi nailed it with that ammo.............and you can buy it from Sgammo.com shipped to your door for $.037 per shot.

It would cost me $.028 per round (Not including cost of brass, or MY TIME).............

You can't beat that Fiocchi 50gr V max load. Unless of course the 40gr works better in your rifle.

That Fiocchi 50gr V max load shoots 1/2" in every rifle I've tried them in, often better.
That includes a Tikka T3 Superlite 223, Browning A bolt, several AR-15 rifles, and a new england handi rifle.

They obviously have that load dialed in.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-17-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:22 AM
Supporting Member

I have a KofO repeater in 221 FB that is a great shooter and a very nice looking rifle.

The newer NY Kimber rifles are very nice but they are basically a scaled down Model 70 clone while the KofO has elements reminding me of Cooper firearms. The safety location, style, and operation in particular. Dan Cooper, along with a couple of others, left Kimber/Oregon to create their own company which became Cooper Firearms so I guess maybe that the comparison follows logically.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-17-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

bcb I had one of those in a 221 fb super American. unfortunately the chamber was whackey and never would shoot. beautiful wood and great ascetics. if the guns accuracy goes all of a sudden check the wood back of the recoil lug. I had 2 that broke free there. you could slide the wood back like it was made that way.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Default Kimber Quality

[quote=Screaminweasil;278901]I "read" that they had quality issues but in the past 10 years have rectified a majority of them. This recent 223 of mine had December 2018 on the box, so It's a very, very recent example. I can't find a single flaw on the rifle anywhere, fit and finish is better than some coopers I've handled. Barrel is perfectly centered and floating in the channel. The bedding is spot on, pillars are perfectly contacting, etc. The barrel feels like a custom and cleans like one too.

I may have to try some again. About 3 years ago I bought 2 boxes of the 223 ammo and out of those forty rounds, 10 fired. All the rest the prime took a good hit, even twice and would not fire.
I will say the dealer refunded my money and I guess was reimbursed by his supplier for them.. Bill K
Old 02-17-2019, 03:17 PM

[quote=Bill K;278921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
I "read" that they had quality issues but in the past 10 years have rectified a majority of them. This recent 223 of mine had December 2018 on the box, so It's a very, very recent example. I can't find a single flaw on the rifle anywhere, fit and finish is better than some coopers I've handled. Barrel is perfectly centered and floating in the channel. The bedding is spot on, pillars are perfectly contacting, etc. The barrel feels like a custom and cleans like one too.

I may have to try some again. About 3 years ago I bought 2 boxes of the 223 ammo and out of those forty rounds, 10 fired. All the rest the prime took a good hit, even twice and would not fire.
I will say the dealer refunded my money and I guess was reimbursed by his supplier for them.. Bill K
The ammo we are talking about comes in boxes of 50 rounds. Fiocchi Extrema 50gr V max.....regarded as the cheapest, most reliable, and most accurate 223 ammo and has been for years. Certainly you tried something different.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Kimber Quality

The ammo we are talking about comes in boxes of 50 rounds. Fiocchi Extrema 50gr V max.....regarded as the cheapest, most reliable, and most accurate 223 ammo and has been for years. Certainly you tried something different.[/quote]

May have been all I know it was Fiocchi, 20 round boxes in 223 and 50 grain bullets. But I was given back my money, by my gun shop, and he took the fired cases and unfired one's back, so I was happy. Just did not buy any of Fiocchi since. But like I said may try the newer stuff and see. I know the price per box was very reasonable. Bill K
Old 02-17-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Did someone say "Kimber"?

Well there, Austin....it appears you won yet another stock wood lottery. Nice!

Congrats on your new Kimber 84M. By all accounts, it not only looks primo, but shoots just as well. I bet you're excited to see what she'll do with good handloads. You will fear NO rock chucks now!

I've had some very good outings with my Kimber 84M Varmint in 204R. I use it for mobile rock chucks when I want to wander about the outback, but occasionally on sage rats too. I much prefer my Coopers for bench work, as the Kimber stock is more suited to a true 'hunting' rifle, more than a bench varmint rig. Being a repeater also makes it more suitable for walkabouts.

Mine in the field having her way with Skippy. She's called "Wicked Wanda", and has a fearsome reputation amongst the squirrel population. lol

Maybe these two Kimbers will see each other in the field some day, as it's almost time for our favorite pastime (soon as all this white crap leaves!). These two would look purty good together!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Well there, Austin....it appears you won yet another stock wood lottery. Nice!

Congrats on your new Kimber 84M. By all accounts, it not only looks primo, but shoots just as well. I bet you're excited to see what she'll do with good handloads. You will fear NO rock chucks now!

I've had some very good outings with my Kimber 84M Varmint in 204R. I use it for mobile rock chucks when I want to wander about the outback, but occasionally on sage rats too. I much prefer my Coopers for bench work, as the Kimber stock is more suited to a true 'hunting' rifle, more than a bench varmint rig. Being a repeater also makes it more suitable for walkabouts.

Mine in the field having her way with Skippy. She's called "Wicked Wanda", and has a fearsome reputation amongst the squirrel population. lol

Maybe these two Kimbers will see each other in the field some day, as it's almost time for our favorite pastime (soon as all this white crap leaves!). These two would look purty good together!

Hey there Rick.
That little "Wanda" of yours sure is sweet. Your adventures with that sweet little Kimber 204 really made me think "someday, she will be mine." Well, one like her anyway. So, I can thank you here and now for your purchase mentoring.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure excited about this spring and getting out to use some of my new equipment. But first, what's up with this wet white stuff? I woke up to two more inches of fresh