Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-08-2021, 10:21 PM

Default 591 centerfire project

So after sending my 591 across the country to have it barreled and the action threaded...I was left with a basically ruined action. This was many years ago. For almost a decade this rifle hasn't actually fired a round successfully. It was a dormant project just waiting to surface. Well the time has come. I had decided I cannot ruin it anymore then it is, so I may as well try to make a functioning rifle. I have this 591 remington that has the action threaded, even though its too far, and a 20 cal barrel of unknown manufacturer.

So I chucked this little guy up and proceeded to open the loading port significantly, then I opened the mag well up alot. I figured I should add the extra action screw and drill and tap for scope bases. I figured it would look neat with a small recoil lug too,, so I made one. The bolt head was next. I couldn't find someone to copy a 581 centerfire bolt head that I already have so I figured I'd try my hand at this.....since I already had James calhoons drawings for a cf bolt head. Well, I did my best with what I have and I think it turned out pretty good. Just like James drawings show, I used an m16 firing pin and plunger ejector. I bought a chunk of 4140 5/8 ground and polished bar stock to make the head. Now I'm onto the magazine. I decided I want a 20 badger, or 20 garin so I happen to have a 19 badger case to use as a prop to fashion a magazine out of.....here is where I am..

Last edited by joejo; 02-08-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:22 PM

I made 2 bolt heads...one a little longer just in case I wanted to convert another rifle a some point
Old 02-08-2021, 10:24 PM

I still have to chop 5 or so inches from the barrel, make a magazine spring, catch system, and chamber the barrel. After that I'll have my Smith blue it and bed it in the oil finished and freshly checkered 591 stock
Old 02-09-2021, 01:16 AM

Default 5mm

Man a cool project . I wanted to rebarrel my 5mm mag to a nice stainless heavy barrel but I never could find anyone to do it for me , maybe one day
Old 02-09-2021, 07:50 AM
Supporting Member

Looks good Joejo, I will be interested to see how it feeds and shoots.

I've got a set of drawings for a centrefire bolt for the 581/591 and have been debating with myself what cartridge to chamber a barrel for and fit it to the L/H 581 I've got.

Originally I was going to go 17 or 20Ak Hornet but lately I've been thinking about the 17 or 20 Mink and leaning toward the 20, anyone got a 20 Mink reamer they would sell?
I really want a magazine fed rifle suitable as a walking rifle.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Little more progress. Barrel is fit, bolt head finished and fit, I'm probably going to make a simple 2 shot design temporarily and revisit the magazine build after the rifle is blued and chambered. Im calling this one the 20 junkyard.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpppcbr View Post
Man a cool project . I wanted to rebarrel my 5mm mag to a nice stainless heavy barrel but I never could find anyone to do it for me , maybe one day
Good luck lol. You may end up with a rifle like mine that sits unusable for years and end up converting it to centerfire too. There is alot of goofy cuts that need made on the chamber end to fit it for 5mm rimfire
Old 02-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Supporting Member

Very good looking work Joe. What extractor are you using? I've never owned one of these rifles , is that factory checking or did you recut it? Like the name.