Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-15-2021, 11:07 PM

Little more updates. I abandoned the steel magazine project and figured I would try an aluminum.

Machined a small mag well cover that I tapped and bolted a magwell to. I made the well out of the same little chunk of aluminum. I guessed and made the shape of a follower that I thought will work. Finally made a few springs out of banding and tempered them in the lead pot. They worked out okay I suppose. So here's the next pieces of the puzzle...still waiting on a die from Whitten.

The mag well cover is held in by the action of bolting it to the mag well and a small 4x48 grub screw for rear tension.

Last edited by joejo; 09-15-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:09 PM

The spring sits in a milled slot in the follower that I just epoxied and the lip of the spring feeds thru the mag well retaining it there.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:26 PM

Old 09-15-2021, 11:26 PM

The gun is dirty so don't mind that....aluminum dust everywhere!
Old 11-01-2021, 11:40 PM

Gotta wonder if a .17 Mach II would be a worthwhile rebarrel for a 591. I'd think they'd work either with the factory 5mm mags, or with a factory 541/581 .22 LR mag.

Also, wouldn't it be easy to start with, say, a CZ 527 mag, and then make it work with the rifle?

Or, you could use the .22 CCM case and create a CF variant of the .17 HMR... then you could use a factory mag.

ADDED: I still am impressed by the work that has gone into this.

Last edited by obijohn; 11-01-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:58 PM

Well whidden sent the final size die and I went thru a little forming process. It's a neat little cartridge. I think now I can call this a finished product. For now anyway.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
Gotta wonder if a .17 Mach II would be a worthwhile rebarrel for a 591. I'd think they'd work either with the factory 5mm mags, or with a factory 541/581 .22 LR mag.

Also, wouldn't it be easy to start with, say, a CZ 527 mag, and then make it work with the rifle?

Or, you could use the .22 CCM case and create a CF variant of the .17 HMR... then you could use a factory mag.

ADDED: I still am impressed by the work that has gone into this.
All possibilities for sure. I just had the barrel already from the 5mm cf project so I wanted to use that. I tossed the idea around of buying different mags and making them work but feel like I spent enough of dies, brass and other crap so I didn't want to buy a bunch of mags that I could maybe make work.

I have a couple 5mms with Schroeder and Craig's conversions but have them both shooting rimfire right now because even the cf variant case doesn't work in the factory 5mm magazine.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:20 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejo View Post

I have a couple 5mms with Schroeder and Craig's conversions but have them both shooting rimfire right now because even the cf variant case doesn't work in the factory 5mm magazine.
Very cool project! And I like the idea of other magazines but understand why you didn’t try. The bolt extractor/firing pin work is awesome!

On the 5mm CF conversion, sorry to hear of the feeding issues. I have the Schroeder and it feeds perfect from the factory 591 magazines (I only have three of them but they all feed fine). I cast 30 gr bullets for it (and mostly shoot those).

Keep up the great work!
Old 11-27-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Very cool project! And I like the idea of other magazines but understand why you didn’t try. The bolt extractor/firing pin work is awesome!

On the 5mm CF conversion, sorry to hear of the feeding issues. I have the Schroeder and it feeds perfect from the factory 591 magazines (I only have three of them but they all feed fine). I cast 30 gr bullets for it (and mostly shoot those).

Keep up the great work!
The Craig machined brass doesn't seem to fit in the mag very well. The Schroeder brass seems to fit but I load the cf version longer then mag length for accuracy reasons. So I currently just put the rimfire bolt heads on bc I take them sometimes for varmints. And I'm obviously not worried about saving rf brass
Old 11-28-2021, 02:58 AM
Supporting Member

Yes back before I started casting bullets, the vmax bullets was too long. I even pulled the red tips. The cast bullets was within a minute of a headshot so I was happy enough with that. My contender normally gets the longer vmax bullets but there are times I will run the lead through it.

I have several cases of the centurion ammo (for my second 591 still RF) and really need to start using it up. Just enjoy the CF version a lot more.