Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 PM

If a 22-250 is too loud, then I think a pistol would have the same problem. If you don't want a muffler, then a smaller cartridge with a long barrel is in order. A light cooper, CZ527, or howa mini should work. Here is what I've been carrying around the mountains these days:

It's a howa mini in an old beat up remington stock modified to use 30 carbine magazines, next to a cooper M38 that is less portable and much more expensive. The mini is light, cheap, and the 15 or 30 round magazines are fun. I don't care about scratching it or getting it dirty or rained on. If you only get a chance for a few shots, then something with more oomph (but less than a 22-250) might be in order. You could get a mini set up with something like 6PPC or 22LBC, a composite stock and a flush bottom metal. There are two options out now to replace the plastic magazines with a flush BDL style aluminum piece. Check out:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum...p-Single-Shots
Old 03-05-2020, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Love my Model 7 in 20VT Ray talked me into building and DocEd smithed. It is in a Bell and Carlson stock topped with a Leupy 4-12. I splurged and went all in with a jewel trigger. It's more accurate than I am and light enough to carry about anywhere.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
Love my Model 7 in 20VT Ray talked me into building and DocEd smithed. It is in a Bell and Carlson stock topped with a Leupy 4-12. I splurged and went all in with a jewel trigger. It's more accurate than I am and light enough to carry about anywhere.
What was your Model 7 a 223 Remington? Did you have to do anything special to the extractor to get the bolt to extract and eject properly?
Old 03-05-2020, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
If a 22-250 is too loud, then I think a pistol would have the same problem. If you don't want a muffler, then a smaller cartridge with a long barrel is in order. A light cooper, CZ527, or howa mini should work. Here is what I've been carrying around the mountains these days:

It's a howa mini in an old beat up remington stock modified to use 30 carbine magazines, next to a cooper M38 that is less portable and much more expensive. The mini is light, cheap, and the 15 or 30 round magazines are fun. I don't care about scratching it or getting it dirty or rained on. If you only get a chance for a few shots, then something with more oomph (but less than a 22-250) might be in order. You could get a mini set up with something like 6PPC or 22LBC, a composite stock and a flush bottom metal. There are two options out now to replace the plastic magazines with a flush BDL style aluminum piece. Check out:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum...p-Single-Shots
Nice work on the mini!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
What was your Model 7 a 223 Remington? Did you have to do anything special to the extractor to get the bolt to extract and eject properly?
I bought one of the AAC/model seven actions from Brownells a few years back. AAC had a run of 300 BO guns made by Remington and they didn't go over well so they sold off the extra actions separately. Extractor is in the correct location for the FB/VT case. You might also find a 17 Fireball out there as a donor.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:31 AM
Supporting Member

In 2002 I bought a Rem 700 Classic when the 221 FB was that year's rifle. The extractor on it was in the normal 223 bolt face position and it extracted and ejected empties just fine. I never had a problem with it, and at the time I didn't realize that I should have a problem. None the less, I peddled it after a few years for some reason that I can't remember right now.

My current LVSF in 221 FB has a bolt with the correct bolt face, extractor, ejector, and magazine modifications, and it works fine too.

Quien sabe?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-05-2020, 03:32 AM

Default Cooper M38 221 Fireball

I got this rifle specifically to hunt called predators. This is a light fast handling little rifle in a cartridge that is perfect for calling predators.

Last edited by jwv2001; 03-05-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Great thought. I have been down that road before with an XP-100 in 221 Fireball and 7mm BR, an XP-100R in 260 Remington, and a Freedom Arms single shot in 7mm BR. They are great too carry, but hard to use in the field.
I got lucky. The experienced XP guys tucked me under their wing for field use.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv2001 View Post
I got this rifle specifically to hunt called predators. This is a light fast handling little rifle in a cartridge that is perfect for calling predators.

It looks like the perfect rifle for it.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:26 PM

I have several Cooper Model 38's. Also have a Model 40 which is a repeater in 22 hornet. I like the Model 38's but they have always seemed a bit heavy for a walking varminter rifle. Until I found a Model 38 in 22 Squirrel. Has a short barrel that is much smaller in diameter then most Cooper barrels. It's in a Classic Stock with a Schnabel forend. It weighs less then 6.5 lbs scoped up. Although the 22 Squirrel is not a 200 or 250 yard cartridge someday I can see myself owning this identical setup in a caliber like 20 VarTarg. Here is a link to the rifle. https://www.slideshare.net/enganche1...-scn-fall-2007