Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 11:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

cooper only made a few of the model 40's. I had a exhibition grade 40 in 22 k hornet, I think there was less than 125 made total.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
cooper only made a few of the model 40's. I had a exhibition grade 40 in 22 k hornet, I think there was less than 125 made total.
You don't happen to have any old pictures of the Model 40 do you? I'm convinced that the Model 40 I have has exhibition grade wood on it.....or its way better then the AAA Coopers I own. This is the second one I own. Had a new in box one with the serial number VEGAS 5.. Sold it on GB unfired for big money. The one I have now will be with me for many many years to come. It has a few bumps and bruises so I won't feel bad if I take it to the field.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I have several Cooper Model 38's. Also have a Model 40 which is a repeater in 22 hornet. I like the Model 38's but they have always seemed a bit heavy for a walking varminter rifle. Until I found a Model 38 in 22 Squirrel. Has a short barrel that is much smaller in diameter then most Cooper barrels. It's in a Classic Stock with a Schnabel forend. It weighs less then 6.5 lbs scoped up. Although the 22 Squirrel is not a 200 or 250 yard cartridge someday I can see myself owning this identical setup in a caliber like 20 VarTarg. Here is a link to the rifle. https://www.slideshare.net/enganche1...-scn-fall-2007
Thanks for sharing the article. I really enjoyed reading it. I would not be opposed to a 22 Squirrel for a really light weight rifle.

The Model 40 sounds like a possibility too. How much does it weigh?
Old 03-06-2020, 01:00 AM

I have a Tikka T3x I carry when I’m not going too far and when I know shots will be under 200-250. Chambered in 223. Nothing pretty to look at but it shoots very well and is light as can be.

Tikka made the Forest model in a 222 a few years ago (maybe they still do) and that would also be a neat gun for the walking varminter.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Thanks for sharing the article. I really enjoyed reading it. I would not be opposed to a 22 Squirrel for a really light weight rifle.

The Model 40 sounds like a possibility too. How much does it weigh?
I've never put the Model 40 on a scale but its considerable heavier. Probably 7.5 lbs with scope or maybe a little heavier then that.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
How heavy are the Browning Low Walls? Are the triggers adjustable?
I don't have a scale but I would guess the Low Wall at seven pounds with the scope. The triggers have a small amount of adjustment. The T/C G2 with a 20" custom shop barrel I would guess to be about pound lighter.
Bill
Old 03-06-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
You don't happen to have any old pictures of the Model 40 do you? I'm convinced that the Model 40 I have has exhibition grade wood on it.....or its way better then the AAA Coopers I own. This is the second one I own. Had a new in box one with the serial number VEGAS 5.. Sold it on GB unfired for big money. The one I have now will be with me for many many years to come. It has a few bumps and bruises so I won't feel bad if I take it to the field.
how the model 38 and 40 got their name. Dan designed the model 38 when he was 38 years old and the 40 when he was 40. trivia
Old 03-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Default FYI My Cooper M38 221 FB

My rifle weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. with a Leupold 6.5-20 scope and SK bases. I have an XP100 and was always impressed with the efficiency of the 221 FB round. It really shows itself in a rifle. Good velocity and extremely accurate.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
had a picture but it is on photobucket and I can't access it. it was a special rifle dan made for me to replace a model 38 in 17 ccm that would not feed. they looked at wood coming in for several months to find just the right piece, and it was something else. prettiest piece of wood I've ever seen and way to nice to take out of the safe.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswanted View Post
I have a Tikka T3x I carry when I’m not going too far and when I know shots will be under 200-250. Chambered in 223. Nothing pretty to look at but it shoots very well and is light as can be.

Tikka made the Forest model in a 222 a few years ago (maybe they still do) and that would also be a neat gun for the walking varminter.
Yes, I remember the Forest model. I had a T3x stainless and I had problems with rust. Are the blued Tikka rifle better concerning rust resistance?