Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ultrasonic barrel cleaning

Several threads have mentioned carbon in the throat or leade.

Has anyone experience with using an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the buildup?
Old 01-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Default Ultrasonice barrel cleaning

I am going to put my thought into this. I know they fit a AR barrel into the ultrasonic cleaners, but I think you would have to take a rifle barrel off the action, to fit, unless it happens to be short enough of a barreled action. Seems the AR's clean nicely, so if the barrel or barreled action would fit, then it would stand to reason, they would clean out also. Anyone, what is your thought Bill K
Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Ultrasonic cleaners work by cavitation, the creation and collapse of gas bubbles. When the gas bubble collapses, the liquid squirts onto the surface of the metal. The net effect is called cavitation erosion, which affects some metals more than others. At higher magnificantion, the surface looks porous, almost like the surface of a natural sponge. A lot depends on the intensity of the ultrasonic cleaning. Steel is much more erosion resistant than aluminum. I would advise against using aluminum parts, such as an upper or lower of an AR. I know that some nickel alloys are prone to ultrasonic damage used turbine blades and vanes, and the intensity of the ultrasonic cleaners have to be controlled and monitored to avoid the damage. These are big industrial ultrasonic cleaners, not the normal home units for jewelry or gun stuff.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 PM

Absolutely not needed. In the benchrest community the best method found which works quite well is to use IOSSO bore cleaner with one of their nylon brushes on a short rod and short stroak the throat. It makes it a quick job.