Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM

Default 17, 20, & 22 cal cleaning when using HBN

What differences have you noticed when cleaning these three calibers using coated bullets? I am interested in finding out the differences in required frequency of cleaning of carbon after # of rounds that begins to affect accuracy.

Chuck
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Not sure what coating you are talking about. My stainless Pac-Nor 3-groove on the .17AH was good for a minimum of 400 to 500 rounds, but nowadays, gets only about a hundred to 150 between cleanings. N0 HUGE longer range past-200-yards gopher days now, as they are too few and far between on the farms we shoot.
I was using moly for coating, MsMoly as well as Hornady coated 25HP's.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 AM

Default Coated bullets & cleaning

Daryl:

I am using HBN, but I know others use Danzac. My Cooper 17AH was filthy with carbon after shooting test loads of 2200 & 1680.

Chuck
Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 AM

Can't speak to HBN coating but it is essentially doing the same thing as moly. I run moly in all my 6mm and smaller bores. In my .223 and as a test this year I shot three shot groups in the .350-.4" range the day before the the hunt and after 350 rounds of Moly coated 50gr Vmax over a book load of Benchmark (3350 fps) I was rewarded with .5" groups when we got back. This barrel looks like a sewer pipe (CM barrel that wasn't properly cared for before I got it) but the moly helps keep the copper from building up to significantly affect accuracy. Takes some work to get it all out but I usually spend ten minutes knocking the barnacles off and its back to 3/8" groups. I'd expect HBN to do the same. I think the smaller the bore, the more pronounced the effect but I don't have a large sample size.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 AM

I only use hBn in my two 17's but I have found that I don't have to clean as often and cleaning seems to be easier. The easier cleaning claim is subjective of course.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 AM

I use hBN on my 223 and 6mm projectiles and find that both barrels clean easy. Although I have been using it since new on the 223 and maybe started at 800 rounds for the 6mm PPC. I have not coated any 17 projectiles yet but the 17 barrel takes a lot of cleaning. So much that I had a can of Wipe out sent out from the US and I use it only on the Sako 17 barrel.

Pete
Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM

Out of curiosity, when y'all who have been using HBN, do you re-condition the bore after a good thorough cleaning? I have just started using this coating. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 01:33 PM

I coated my barrel after cleaning. I used a 16 ounce bottle of 91% alcohol and added one teaspoon of hbn to it. The hbn does not mix so every time you use it shake it well. I run a patch down and back twice with this solution and I'm ready to go. Seems the work well.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklong View Post
I coated my barrel after cleaning. I used a 16 ounce bottle of 91% alcohol and added one teaspoon of hbn to it. The hbn does not mix so every time you use it shake it well. I run a patch down and back twice with this solution and I'm ready to go. Seems the work well.
This is what I do also^^^^^
Old 06-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Default For those that might want to try it

http://www.bench-talk.com/articles/benchrest/163.html