Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
One thing to consider with the 17 Fireball is brass availability. AFAIK, Remington and Nosler are the only ones that make it and the Nosler is thicker, has a reduced capacity and some custom chamber necks will be too small for it. BTDT.
I have found and used either Sleeping Giant brass or Diamond K brass ( re-formed LC mostly, but some factory 17 FB and it has worked very well. someone always seems to have it available. Bill K

( or 221 FB brass and neck it down )
Old 01-04-2020, 02:42 AM

I use High Plains brass. I find it absolutley necessary to turn necks. They vary too much. Must be careful to check for other brass issues, and check primer pockets for missed or canted removal of the LC crimp.

That being said, it seems to be stout brass once done.

If I were to build a small caliber on a bolt gun, it would not be a 17. The 20 has too much going for it. I would do a 20-222 or maybe a vartarg.

Just saying
Old 01-04-2020, 02:28 PM

I can guarantee you that this is going to be a money pit. The above two posters are right. You will have to turn necks, or have problems with accuracy. Today’s 17FB brass is garbage, which leaves you with trying to scrounge older brass, or size down 221 lapua brass, then turn necks.

I bought a Cooper mach IV, a few years back, and could have bought two in another caliber, for what it took to get it setup to shoot accurately.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:43 PM

[quote=qwk;286931]I can guarantee you that this is going to be a money pit. The above two posters are right. You will have to turn necks, or have problems with accuracy. Today’s 17FB brass is garbage, which leaves you with trying to scrounge older brass, or size down 221 lapua brass, then turn necks.

Interesting comment. I and two others I know have had 17 fireballs for over 2 years now and they are very accurate, brass has been no issue and thousands of ground squirrels and hundreds of rock chucks and a few coyotes have been taken out with them, from around 80 to a little over 400 yrds, with no trouble.

We/I have both 17 and 20 calibers and anyone of them are great little rounds to use and enjoy. Just have enough money to buy plenty of bullets and powder. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 01-04-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:39 PM

I guess it depends on what one’s definition of accurate is. If one is content with 1-1 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards, then it won’t be a problem. If one wants to make holes touch, then the current brass offerings, short of what I mentioned above, won’t work. At least they didn’t for me, and believe me I tried.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Interesting comment. I and two others I know have had 17 fireballs for over 2 years now and they are very accurate, brass has been not issue and thousands of ground squirrels and hundreds of rock chucks and a few coyotes have been taken out with them, from around 80 to a little over 400 yrds, with no trouble.

We/I have both 17 and 20 calibers and anyone of them are great little rounds to use and enjoy. Just have enough money to buy plenty of bullets and powder. Bill K
I couldn't agree more, Bill, as I bought a 17 FB rifle as soon as one was available in my area to thank Remington for doing what they did. My AO is a target rich environment for new things, and I had a rifle before factory ammunition was available on dealer shelves. Ammo arrived about a week later.

So far I have had zilch issues with available factory brass and I have enjoyed a very accurate rifle/brass package from the git-go. I like the FB because it is a twin to my much older Mach IV with available factory ammo and brass if you look for it.

Years ago I bought brass when it was available and I doubt that I'll live long enough to have enough problems with it that I'll use it all up. In fact, so far I've not had any problems. We are a niche market, and the tools can be hard to find at times since not everyone wants to go forth and pursue with a 17 or 20 anything. But for those of us who have played this small caliber game for years, that is not new news.

I hope that I live long enough to fully understand what is wrong with the 17 FB brass........ I'm always one of the last to know about these things until I read about them on the internet.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-04-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
I guess it depends on what one’s definition of accurate is. If one is content with 1-1 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards, then it won’t be a problem. If one wants to make holes touch, then the current brass offerings, short of what I mentioned above, won’t work. At least they didn’t for me, and believe me I tried.
These 17 fireballs we have, will shoot 3/4 to less groups all day long, with the load ( actually two different loads ) we have. They have to shoot very nice, tight groups to consistently hit those little Richardson ground squirrels, even at 100 yrds, let alone out to 400 yrds.
As for the brass used. it is factory Remington, factory 221 FB, mostly Nosler and hundreds of brass cases formed from LC. All work just fine, with proper loading procedures and care. Bill K

You might try some loads worked up with either CFE Blk or 1680 and see how much better you could find a group, that your rifle likes. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:23 PM

How old is the brass you are using? I can totally understand if it’s older stuff from years back, but the new stuff(last year to now is not too good). Once I went through the trouble of sizing/neck turning lapua, all my troubles disappeared. Same powder(although I reworked the load due to different brass), same everything. I used h4198, and h322. Both are hard to beat in my gun.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:32 PM

Some of it is the older Remington factory brass that had the 25 grain bullets in it. ( some of that brass has been reloaded over a dozen times or more) Most of the present brass in all within two years old, the Nosler and the LC formed are all 2 years of age or newer.
This brass is formed with my dies, taken down from 221 FB Nosler, some formed from LC with forming dies and some bought formed from some like Sleeping Giant or Diamond K brass. Then I just do the normal prepping of it, size, trim ( if necessary ) chamfer mouths and reload.
Now my loads are not full max either, but are all right near it, so that might help it last and work well for me in the 17 FB, 221 FB, and 20SCC, all of which have brass made with these sources. Bill K
Old 01-04-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
Respectfully have to disagree with your posts about Fireball accuracy and lack of quality brass offerings.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loadi...lem-100ct.html

Not only good quality, it’s quite affordable and eligible for an extra 20% “2020” rebate currently.

This aside, I have previously sized down Nosler and Lapua 221 brass, shot factory R/P 17 Fireball brass, and turned necks as well as made plenty out of 223 brass. All shot WELL under your experiences with group size.

In regards to the OP, sounds like you may have reached a decision with a CZ action. If you do decide Remington 700, I would suggest the Sako Extractor option. Good luck with your decision and don’t be afraid of the 17 Fireball. The 22 version is a delight, the 20 version (Vartarg) has a nearly cult following, and I believe you’ll find the 17 version is a great choice also. My rifle loves 20 grain V Max and H4198.

Last edited by M595NUT; 01-04-2020 at 06:18 PM.