Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Rusty spot up inside my Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter 22 Hornet?

Groundhog season is upon us so I was giving my A-bolt 22 Hornet a cleaning in anticipation of a range day tomorrow to check my zero. First patch came out surprisingly dirty and rusty looking, and with subsequent patches I was feeling a rough spot an inch or two up into the throat. I always use my bore guide, so whatever I was feeling was about 2 inches past that.

It smoothed out some after hitting it with a bronze bore brush but I can still feel the patch sliding past something rougher than the rest of the bore. I assume it just developed a rusty spot somehow although thought I had always babied this sweet little shooter.

Gun is a 2010 model and I only have 120 shots down it. I'm just gonna shoot it tomorrow and see how it does, I usually don't clean it after zeroing for the season unless it sees really heavy use. Any suggestions on how to address it?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:42 PM

What solvent did you use to clean, and did you use a copper solvent, not a powder solvent? I suggest you use some JB bore paste to try to polish that spot to smooth it out some. After cleaning, use some oil to leave a light film in the bore. I would also suggest you clean more frequently.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:55 AM

If you really want to ruin your day spend 50 bucks on Amazon for the Teslong rifle borescope. Then clean it good, shoot it, find out it still shoots great and stop worrying about all the litte imperfections you saw with the borescope.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:06 AM
Supporting Member

My Browning Micro Medallion has a barrel that looks like a washboard dirt road and still shoots well. (MOA at 100 yards) I just shoot it now and don't look at the interior with the bore scope.
Rider
Old 04-29-2020, 12:57 PM

I suggest you do nothing until you shoot it an see if you have a problem.

The rule is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix"

It's not unusual for such a problem to just disappear after shooting.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM

Sorry guys, just seeing these responses. Thank you. My email notifications don't appear to be sending. Is that not working here?

I shot it the other day. Easily 1/2" at 100 yards so feeling pretty good. If I'm lucky and see some groundhogs at 22 Hornet range I'll be putting a few more rounds through it over the next couple weeks.