Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Optimal barrel length for 20VT

Hi

20VT project has started.

Looking at using either a Remington VL SS or a XR100 as the basis of the project. Selling the barrel, and then replacing it with a 20cal 12 twist Shilen.

Now, the barrel is a HV contour, but for the 20VT how much barrel is to much. I would think that 26" is more than enough for the small amount of powder it uses. What do you think?

Also, if I use the VL SS, the 20VT round will be lost in the internal magazine. Most likely cause feeding problems. I see the 17FB remingtons have the follower shortened and a block added to the rear. How do these feed? Might be able to modify the VL SS.

Cheers
AI
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 AM

Welcome aboard AI,

barrel length is a matter of personal choice, mostly depending on what type of rifle your building .... bench gun vs. walking varminter. From your description above sounds like your going with the bench gun approach. A 26" HV contour rifle will weigh close to 15 lbs depending upon scope. I would not want to carry a 15# rifle in the fields unless I was shooting p-dogs from a bench and rest.

If it were me, I'd build a "tweener". Something along the likes of a 9 -10 lb. gun that balances like a walking varminter. This can be accomplished by using a #5 fluted barrel finished at 22" - 24". This rifle will shoot very good off the bench and in the field. I think a 22" barrel balances real well, and a 24" barrel gives you some added security if you ever want to set the barrel back and re-chamber down the road. IMO, 26" for a 20 VT seems like alot of barrel. Most all of my custom small caliber rifles sport 24" barrels; however I primarily shoot from the bench 80% of the time.

One other note, the #5 barrel will fit very nice in your VL stock as opposed to a HV contour which tapers from 1.250" to .950".

best of luck on your project and keep asking questions.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 AM

Thanks for the welcome mate!!

The reason I am using such a heavy and big barrel is that the Gunsmith has one in stock, there is no waiting period for it. Over here in Australia it is a 8 week wait at least. I will have the barrel fluted to reduce a little of the weight.

The length does not worry me, but I am after the optimal barrel length for the 20VT. At what length does extra performance fall off? I would think that the velocity increase between 26" to 28" barrel would be very minimal, hence you would not use a 28" barrel.

Now the velocity increase from 24" to 26" maybe the same, very little. This is the information I am after. If it is a significant increase well then I will use a 26" barrel.

The rifle will not be a walk around varminter. More of set up at where known quarry exist, like a rabbit warren. It will also be used off a bench a far bit at the range.

Now, how does a 221FB case feed in the internal box? The follower will be suited the 204 and 223, so the 20VT round maybe lost in the magazine and have feeding problems. Looking at the Remington 17FB's, the folwer is shortened and ablock added. What is the best solution for feeding the 20VT from the internal magazine.

Cheers
AI

Last edited by Ackley Improved; 10-19-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 AM

id build it to as long a barrel as you can
then see how it shoots
if itshoots well - who cares how long the barrel is
if not
then you can start trimming/turning a bit of length off the barrel to try and find the sweet spot- but once it's gone - you cannot put it back on

later
P
Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 AM

Default With the approx 19 gr of powder

I would seriously doubt if you could help yourself with a barrel lenght over 24" give or take a bit. It seems that a lot of point blank shooters have pretty much decided that the 22PPC optimal length for harmonics and whatever else is between 20 & 21 inches iirc.

Once again, with less than 19 grains of powder, the set back will be a long time coming and then doubting if more than 2 point small inches needed to freshen things up. By that time you will have stacked your long eared victims to the sky.......................

Also, with a short action and relatively hvy long bbl, from the info I've gleaned, you will probably need to wgt the stock to give it good bag manners should you decide to pursue bug hole accuracy. Just a fwiw and ymmv.