Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-26-2019, 05:49 PM

The modern PCP is not the pellet gun you grew up with. Sadly I get about as stupid buying them as Varmint rifles once I started. My .25 Marauder when the wind is calm will put 5 into 1 1/2" at 100yds with 4 under a nickle shooting pellets and at 50yds 8 under a nickle. I am in the process of building a .25 Marauder for slugs with a 28" TJ barrel. The Brits are using air guns with 12fpe for pesting at the muzzle and the .25's are around 4x the power as those. Many if not most airguns come from the factory with silencers. I have not got to a ground squirrel field yet but have shot Prairie Dogs with them and they will blow through them at over 100 yds with ease. I always get bashed when I mention this but why is it that unless the Pdog/ RAt is dead before the bullet gets there is it not humane, but shooting a deer and it runs 50 yds and lays there and bleeds out or even more so with a arrow through the lungs is ok, but after a Prairie dog gets shot through the heart/ lungs or the top half can crawl to the hole before it dies it is horrible?? What I would have given to have my .25 Marauder growing up on a farm with livestock and grain storage and a dogtown 1/4 mile away!!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:49 PM

The Air Force Condor in .25, with a Lothar Walthar barrel will shoot both diabolo (waisted) pellets and cast bullets. My mould is from NOE and is a 51gr. FN BT.
At a MV of 900fps, these bullets have a BC of .100, whereas the waisted pellets run in the .034 range for BC.
In the States, of course, you are allowed silencing shrouded bls. - made by Air Force as well.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 PM

Its almost like asking the question, whats the difference sending a 100gr bullet from a .224 or a 243,264 etc....

Twist rates make a difference, BC etc....

Maybe lead bullets drop speed rapid being pushed with air as oppose to reduced powder charges.

Fpe down range is different. The only way to know would be to make a reduced load for a 25cal rifle using the exact bullet and get the speeds even at the muzzle and send them 100 yards and see if the air rifle drops way lower than the powder load.

Also keeping in mind barrel length and twist rate must be the same.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:53 PM

The bullets I showed with a BC of .1 are that BC if launched at around 850fps to 900fps. If you go transonic or super sonic with them, you reduce the BC and increase wind drift considerably. Thus, you need to really beat the speed of sound to gain BC and less drop/drift, or stay beneath the speed of sound.
With enough pellet dia. or weight, you can gauge calibre to the game desired.
Bullet drop, is all about speed and BC.
It matters not what the actual propellant was/is.

Last edited by Daryl; 11-30-2019 at 09:55 PM.