Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default Relatively small caliber, to a big bore enthusiast

I was asked to post some information on my Model Seven 6.5 SAUM so here goes:

My buddy Matt Salm came across a good deal on some Model Seven actions and we’d already been discussing the merits of the 6.5 SAUM. Coincidentally, last year before Christmas my Mother called Matt for ideas for a Christmas gift. So Matt recommended her getting me an action then he’d build a rifle for me. She still doesn’t know how much that gift has cost me but I’m certainly thankful if not broke.
Matt chambered a Dan Muller 8 twist with a PTG 6.5 GAP 4S reamer; we finished it at 24”. He blueprinted the action, and fluted the bolt and barrel. He actually waited for me to visit in June before doing the work; which I enjoy as when it comes to his lathe and machining, he is meticulous and precise.

The front of the magazine cut was milled and a Wyatt’s box magazine installed which holds 2 rounds.

Matt then bedded it in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock and sent it to his buddy for Cerakote. The barreled action is Armor black and the stock is a mottled coyote/tan/OD green with a bit of expanded metal type stenciling.

We topped it with a VX3 3.5-10x with Boone & Crockett reticle in extra low Tally one piece rings. The rifle is a comfortable 7.25 lbs empty.
I’m using Remington 300 SAUM brass that Matt necked down and neck turned. Minimal load testing has gotten easy sub MOA @ 2950 fps with a 140gr Berger VLD hunting, a Fed 215M primer and 61.5 gr H-1000.

So far I’ve taken a woodchuck at 110 yards, a coyote at 145 yards and a 5x5 mulie at 294. The 140 VLD worked well at killing, albeit there’s probably more suitable fur loads.
I just took delivery of a Lecia ER 2.5-10 IBS reticle simply for the ability to dial and get out passed 600 yards. That’s going to require higher rings and a cartridge holder to raise comb height or a bolt handle with a recess to clear the larger objective piece.

It’s a fine rifle and expect to use it a bunch.

I'll try to figure out how to post pictures and insert a couple

Chris

Last edited by ChrisA; 12-18-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: paragraph seperation, 8 twist
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Default Relatively small cal to big bore enthusiast

For a small bore That sure is a thumper All of us like, anyway I do, to read and hear about a person's caliber and harvest's with it. Thanks. Bill K
Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 AM

Chris

What a great caliber. I thought most guys used a 8 or 8 1/2 twist.

Hal
Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Supporting Member

You're right Hal, its an 8 twist. Too many numbers floating around in my head. I think the 8 twist is slowing it down vs. an 8 1/2 which seem to be doing 3100 fps. I only have 90 rounds thru it so it may speed up a bit in a another hundred rounds or so.

Forgot to mention a couple things. Matt installed a small M16 extractor and I'm using Whidden dies which are extremely well made.

I am extremely happy with this build and caliber. I'm already scheming a build of a heavier rifle with brake, detachable magazine and a scope with turrets for shooting steel and what not way out there.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisA; 12-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.