Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-19-2022, 07:14 PM

Default 5mm Remington Magnum in Action!

I went on a groundhog hunt yesterday and I thought I would share my success with all of you. The location is a farm in the mountains of Virginia and it was a beautiful evening. Here are some pics of some of the fields:

Here is a pic of my Remington 591 chambered in 5mm Remington Magnum:

I removed the original finish to expose the beautiful wood underneath and mounted an older Leupold 3-9x40 with the friction adjustments. I am shooting the Remington 38 grain HP which I posted a thread a few days ago asking about the B.C. of the bullet. I mainly wanted to see what my drop would be to 200 yards. I didn't have a place where I was shooting to check that far, so I wanted to see what kind of drop I would be expecting.

When I got there the landowner's friend was in the fields training his dog so I had to wait a bit to hunt where I wanted. Anyway as luck would have it I saw a large hole in one field and I though I saw the back of a groundhog's head sticking out of a hole roughly 150 yards away. There was a little bit of grass in front and I just wasn't sure with the 9x. I waited probably 10 minutes thinking the chuck might be spooky because of the dog and the firing the other guy was doing.

I decided to walk to view another field and as I did I saw a groundhog stand up at 132 yards away (laser rangefinder). I got done in the prone position and noted I had a bit of a cross wind quartering from my left to right. The groundhog's head was pointed with his nose to my right. I aimed just below his ear and touched off a shot. I got to see everything through the scope because of the lack of recoil. It immediately dropped and stood up again. It looked wobbly and took it's paws and kept wiping it's face like it was trying to groom itself. I thought that was weird, so I chambered another round. It went down again in the taller grass and reappeared a yard further to the right and stood up again looking in the same direction as before. This time I could see the head and shoulders. I quickly put the cross hairs on the edge of his shoulder in line with his back. The shot dropped it hard and it was noticeably hurt and trying to crawl with limitations. It managed to get in some tall grass and I could no longer see it from my position. I waited a few minutes and then went down to see if I had hit it. I found the groundhog within a couple of feet from its hole:

To be continued...
Old 09-19-2022, 07:17 PM

Default Part II

Upon inspection I noticed my last shot, but wasn't sure what happened on my first shot. After a few minutes I realized the first shot sort of penciled through the front of its face:

Here is a pic of the exit wound where it went through the neck and shoulder:

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome. The rifle is a joy to carry and feels light as a feather compared to my other varmint rifles. I hope to use this some more for groundhogs and fall turkey season. If any of you have experience with this old round please post and let me know your experiences.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:26 PM

Very nice shooting.

580/541/590 series Remingtons are a joy for me as well. We have walnut stocked 580 and 582 and a pristine birch 581 that shoot as well as other heavier rifles.

I just picked up a pair of 580 barreled actions that I had converted to center fire and chambered to 17 & 20 Garin. They will finish out a bit heavier than the stock 580 due to the 24 inch straight taper to .650 barrels, but still will be light enough for all day trekking around with.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-19-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
Very nice shooting.

580/541/590 series Remingtons are a joy for me as well. We have walnut stocked 580 and 582 and a pristine birch 581 that shoot as well as other heavier rifles.

I just picked up a pair of 580 barreled actions that I had converted to center fire and chambered to 17 & 20 Garin. They will finish out a bit heavier than the stock 580 due to the 24 inch straight taper to .650 barrels, but still will be light enough for all day trekking around with.
Sounds like a neat project to convert to centerfire.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:46 PM

I'll post info on the project here: http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38512

I have consumed all of the space I have available for posting photos using the internal space on this site and at some point have to come up with another option and will post photos.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:20 PM

Very nice. I also like the old Remington rimfires. I have two M541S rifles, and very early one with no firing pin spring, and a later on with the spring that prevents the firing pin from peening the breech. Both have match chambers and are quite accurate. I originally got them to shoot RF silhouettes years ago.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:18 AM

Default Very nice thread...

Great to see a tale of the 5mm in action again.I like how you finished the stock on the rifle.The 3x9 tops it off well too.Happy you could anchor that chuck after the shot to the face,surprised he didn’t hide for good.Remember fondly shooting pd’s in Nebraska with Gary W using his rifle and Centurion 5mm ammo.I have bought some of the Craig brass and reloaded with some 30 grain Berger’s for my Contender,waiting on some Centurion ammo to try as well.Have converted a friends 591 to centerfire and been well pleased with the accuracy and speed of the reloads.
Matt
Old 09-20-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Great to see a tale of the 5mm in action again.I like how you finished the stock on the rifle.The 3x9 tops it off well too.Happy you could anchor that chuck after the shot to the face,surprised he didn’t hide for good.Remember fondly shooting pd’s in Nebraska with Gary W using his rifle and Centurion 5mm ammo.I have bought some of the Craig brass and reloaded with some 30 grain Berger’s for my Contender,waiting on some Centurion ammo to try as well.Have converted a friends 591 to centerfire and been well pleased with the accuracy and speed of the reloads.
Matt
Matt,
About the centerfire conversion, can you still use the magazine or is it a single shot?

Brian
Old 09-20-2022, 03:36 PM

I have a friend from John Day OR who bought one brand new and thought the world of it. In the late 1980's he was pining about not being able to get any ammo for it. He never would sell it or modify it and when ammo came available again he made darn sure he would never be in that position again.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-20-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:24 AM

Default Yes

The Craig brass fits fine,mag functions well.He had both the tubular and clip style magazine rifles.That was before Centurion made rimfire ammo.Now I might just leave the rifles as original.Now if I had a spare rifle....I might just
invest in the process,dies ,brass,components,etc.

Matt