Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-18-2022, 05:31 PM

Default Any comments on this Rem 722 & 8X scope?

I bought this rifle from a shooter over the internet. It is a Rem 722 in .222. I haven’t shot it yet but the bore looks excellent. I’ve been trying to decipher the mfg date but its not a simple ser# lookup. Seller said 1951. Barrel length is 26”. The scope was part of the attraction for me as I like older model scopes. This one is a Weaver El Paso K8 60 3 with AO. Strange reticle of 2 parallel cross-hairs perhaps 6 moa apart(?) Amazing, but scope is pretty clear. I believe probably a clear as when it was made, assuming the scope is as old as the rifle.

I’ve been researching online about the rifle & scope, but I value the opinions on Saubier the most & I’m guessing the small-caliber experts here probably have some experience with this rifle & maybe this scope. Here is what I learned:
  • The 722 was the for-runner to the 700 so is a very strong action.
  • It has the infamous Walker trigger (may be dangerous?) . My safety locks bolt & no half-safe. Haven’t weighed but trigger is excellent! Maybe 3 lbs.
  • Supposedly the .222 bolt is prone to broken extractors. You can still buy one from individuals, but expensive!
  • Many Rem 700 parts fit the 722.
I would appreciate any comments or advice with my thanks in advance for your posts. I may have bought a “pig-in-a-poke” but it seems to be pretty cool rifle!

Dave

Old 09-18-2022, 08:43 PM

Default Remington 222

That was the start of one of the best varmint rifles built. Also many benchrest rifles were made on it.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:03 PM

I have the same exact rifle in a 222 Rem Mag.
It has had nothing done to it and is a tack driver.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:50 PM

Can anyone comment on the dual crosshair reticle? What was Weaver thinking with this?
Old 09-20-2022, 09:15 PM

Range finding? Look thru your scope at one hundred yards at a piece of graph paper and find out how much difference there is between the two horizontal cross hairs. Then look at the trajectory of the 222 round. It may well be the upper cross hair is set for 200 yards and the lower cross hair for 300. It's also very possible that the dual cross hairs aren't factory but after market and set up just for the rifles original owner's load. Just a W.A.G. on my part though. Nice classic set up anyway.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:47 PM

seems to me that the double reticle lines were in fact a sort of range finder, a deers shoulder to belly fit in it and that gave you a 100 yrd range, then top crosshair was set for 100yrds and the lower gave you a 200 yrd hold.
Something like that.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:24 AM

Weaver Rangefinder reticle was 6 MOA separation.

https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/blo...inding-reticle

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 09-21-2022 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Weaver Rangefinder reticle was 6 MOA separation.

https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/blo...inding-reticle

Bruce
THANKS - Interesting article & good explanation! I like the website & plan to navigate it some.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:04 AM

Some people are also prone to exaggeration. While the robust nature of the 722 extractor isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Remingtons, they don’t fail at a high enough rate for me to consider them “prone to breakage.” They do fail, but not so often as to be concerning.

Don’t go digging around with a dental pick and my guess it will give you good service. I prefer an extractor that takes a bigger bite on the rim too, but then again I have a safe half full of 788s that have the same style extractor in them. The only one that ever failed… I was cleaning out crud with a dental pick. Just go with aerosol brake cleaner and call it good.

I really like your rifle.

The Walker trigger may, or may not, be flawed. I have studied the mechanism of failure and it impresses me that you really have to be doing things you aught not to be doing to have the rifle fire when the safety is moved to the fire position. I have not been able to replicate it, but that doesn’t mean anything. Use safe gun handling procedures irrespective of what rifle or what trigger anyway.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-26-2022 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
Some people are also prone to exaggeration.
Isn't that the truth. Some people are, also, prone to pontification as well.