Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
We have vastly differing opinions on coyotes . They have contributed so much quality to my life in a variety of ways. I have a lot of appreciation for coyotes. I kill more than most, but I don't have to, in order to have had a great day afield. This last morning of calling was every bit as fun as any morning of hunting them and probably more satisfying.

The older I get the more I enjoy just watching them do their thing. I find them far more interesting than game animals (prey...). They are so much more variable, adaptable, arguably intelligent and able to thrive in such incredibly varied and often difficult environments. The ultimate opportunists and survivors. I have no qualms stating that they are my favorite animal . And the more time I spend just watching them the more I think that.

- DAA
Right on, Ol Dave gets it..
Old 08-04-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Right on, Ol Dave gets it..
Exactly. Very much a part of his life.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
We have vastly differing opinions on coyotes . They have contributed so much quality to my life in a variety of ways. I have a lot of appreciation for coyotes. I kill more than most, but I don't have to, in order to have had a great day afield. This last morning of calling was every bit as fun as any morning of hunting them and probably more satisfying.

The older I get the more I enjoy just watching them do their thing. I find them far more interesting than game animals (prey...). They are so much more variable, adaptable, arguably intelligent and able to thrive in such incredibly varied and often difficult environments. The ultimate opportunists and survivors. I have no qualms stating that they are my favorite animal . And the more time I spend just watching them the more I think that.

- DAA
Very well said and i agree completely. I think they are amazing animals and such a challenge to hunt. i have a lot of respect for them. while i enjoy a wide variety of hunting, predator calling is my favorite.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 AM

Those are great pictures. I need to get out and try to call some in. I've got the gun rigged and sighted in, a good, accurate load worked up so I'm ready to give the yotes a try.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That's a great set of pictures Dave.
About 20 years ago a partner and I went out using a Johnny Stewart rig.
We set about 30' apart with the speaker between us all on the edge of some sage. Three came racing each other to the rabbit. I had the legs down on my rifle, don't know what Earl was doing as he was out of sight.

The first one came running hard as he could and slid a few feet right up to the speaker. Sure was a laugh to see that "WTH" expression on his face.
I was fighting trying to get a shot and the legs wouldn't bend, while I was flipping them up Earl shot and missed. How can an experienced coyote shooter miss one at less than ten feet? It took off hard jumping over brush. At about 100yds I let fly and hit it in the spine, totally paralyzed. Watching us standing there a minute or so before Earl shot it with his .17Rem. I was going to with a snubby .38 but, he said it would ruin the pelt.

Rowdy, you should spend some time playing games with them like Dave does, might enlighten you a bit.

Dave thanks for sharing with us.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Sounds about right George!

Just barely got in a 16"x24" canvas print of that first picture, of the coyote hitting the FoxPro. Ordered it for someone else, but I really like how it turned out, going to order another one to go on my own wall .

- DAA