Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-02-2017, 04:20 AM

Default Benchrest primers in place of magnum primers

this is not a small caliber question but there are many great minds on here with good advice so I've got to ask, i use cci 250 magnum primers in my 28 nosler and I'm considering switching to cci br2 primers. has anyone had problems getting consistent ignition using br2 primers and has anyone used br2 primers in cold weather in a magnum cartridge? thank you in advance for any help.

S.R.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM

From CCI website:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...ers.aspx?id=29

Whatever floats your boat but with that much powder (85+ grains) and a tall column of it, I want a hotter and longer flame duration for surefire ignition. My .02, why reinvent the wheel? Magnum primers in magnum cartridges. If there wasn't any empirical evidence of no difference, there wouldn't be a magnum primer.

Edit: I have a 28 Nosler custom and have shot a little over 200 rounds with it. RL 33 and 168 Bergers at 3480 flattens just about anything at long distances. I use CCI 250s and north of 83 grains of powder and 33 is like extruded charcoal.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 05-02-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default BR vs Magnum

The designation of BR to a primer just means the criteria for manufacturing it is just tighter than the std primer. It's all about less variance in performance which is exactly what the BR crowd wants. Magnum's are a lot hotter for, as Hog Patrol mentioned, igniting those long columns of extruded powders typical in Magnum cartridges.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Benchrest primers in place of magnum primers

I would concur, that the magnum primers were made and designed to ignite those magnum charges, so I would just stick too them and not have a issue come up, especially in cold weather and a hunt. Bill K
Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM

The BR2 is the same as a CCI200, but with tighter controls on priming weight and cups so they are more consistent, thus deliver better average accuracy in accuracy-driven guns.

Anywhere you can use standard primers, you can use BR2's.

Now, what you can do, is to try Fed 215's (or whatever they are called now) as well as Remington 9 1/2Magnum and WW Large Rifle Magnum primers. One of these other magnum primers might give better accuracy - or not.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Are you having accuracey problems? If not I'm wondering why switch if your not. If accuracy is a problem then yes another primer could help.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 AM

Accuracy is good, my intentions for switching would be to reduce my velocity spread as much as possible. i read that magnum primers can fluctuate quite a bit when compared to standard and match primers when it comes to velocity. I'm doing more and more long range shooting these days with my 28 nos. and was hoping to reduce my standard deviation and extremes spread. ill just stick to the magnum primers for the sake of reliable ignition, specially during hunting conditions when it gets cold out. thank you everyone for your advice and input.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Administrator

switch to a different mag primer. I've had good luck with Fed 215m's.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoshoot View Post
Accuracy is good, my intentions for switching would be to reduce my velocity spread as much as possible. i read that magnum primers can fluctuate quite a bit when compared to standard and match primers when it comes to velocity. I'm doing more and more long range shooting these days with my 28 nos. and was hoping to reduce my standard deviation and extremes spread. ill just stick to the magnum primers for the sake of reliable ignition, specially during hunting conditions when it gets cold out. thank you everyone for your advice and input.
Go to accurateshooter.com and read dkhunt14's posts on SD and ES regarding long range. He held or holds seven worlds records for 1000 yds and has been shooting LR for decades. In short, those numbers are no guarantee of a good long range load. Fixating on those numbers is counterproductive. Use the magnums and let the target tell you if the load is good or not.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 05-03-2017 at 03:11 PM.