Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member

Default PMs or I'll Take It

Why do most people on these classifieds sell items on pms???? I have posted I'll Take it on three items over the last year only to find out it was sold on a pm and seller had not posted SPF.
To me it should be the first person that posts I'll Take it that gets it!! Not somebody trying to work a deal.

Just my opinion but I wish we had guidelines regarding the posting and selling on this site.

BHB
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM

I know what you are saying. I alway post -I will take it, pm on the way-. I think a I will take it , should trump PM , go by the time on post. Allen
Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
I know what you are saying. I alway post -I will take it, pm on the way-. I think a I will take it , should trump PM , go by the time on post. Allen
I hear you all on this BUT...sometimes some folks like myself prefer to remain anonymous or have discreet sales or acquisitions. Make sense?

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Supporting Member

Default pm vs I'll take it

I've been on both ends. First is the guy that yells "I'll take it" and then upon locking it up proceeds to bargain or qualify his purchase and then starts to dictate to me his terms for completing a purchase, I have a tendancy to get pissy with those. Other side of the coin is when someone posts something for sale, I commit to buy it within minutes, but he's off line. Then I get the email it's already sold...how can that happen...pretty simple. Those of us that sell usually sell on more than one site. Not uncommon to post it here on Saubier, off to GGVG, then to 6mmBR.com, and finally RFC. Guy on Saubier tags it immediately, but I'm gone, by the time I'm through and check my email I've got 2 guys with I'll take it. Those guys sent PM's, which forwarded to my email. If any of those I'll take it's have qualifications that weren't covered in the listing, ie I need more pics to make a decision, etc I'm onto the next guy. I absolutely go by time and date stamps on any offer, PM or I"ll take it, and when I get one I quickly go over all sites I listed on, before replying. Not uncommon for someone to buy it through a PM before a "I'll take it" shows up in a thread.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default Items for sale...

BHB.....isn't the idea behind items for sale to make the sale? These are supposed to be friendly shooters offering items for sale to others. The operative words..for sale. What does it matter if it sells one way or another? We have these opportunities to sell, let people sell however they can.

We all miss opportunities, but SO WHAT! Unless a person lives and dies on his/her keyboard we will never get every bargain that comes along. I've seen some real screaming deals that I have missed over the years on various forums, but I LIVED! To now say we need specific rules to govern who gets to buy what and when is a bunch of crap, in my opinion. You'll get the next bargain.....
Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 AM

Default Items for Sale

This is often a problem when an item is posted on several sites. I try to avoid this by posting here first to give anyone who is interested an opportunity to buy it. If there is no response, I may post it elsewhere.

I see several folks post "First I'll take it on this thread gets it" or "First PM with I'll take it gets it". I think it is helpful to include this in the "For Sale" listing but it isn't always done.

Several years ago there was a 17 Jet Contender barrel posted for sale (maybe on this site?). I posted an "I'll take it" on the original "For Sale" post and assumed I had bought it since it was the first such post. I later learned that it was sold earlier in some other manner. Left a bad taste in my mouth but I got over it. I have learned that there is very little I can't live without.

I agree that the "I'll Take It" must be cash on the barrel head with no negotiations or it is meaningless and can be rightfully ignored.

Just my two cents worth.

Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 AM

Posting a "I'll take it" locks you in without the opportunity to negotiate price or maybe make a trade - which is best done in private.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Supporting Member

Default I like....

I just recently started copying what I saw other sellers post: "First [whatever] gets it".
I advertised an airgun years ago. Let a nice one go inexpensively because I got it for very low cost. All of a sudden, I had a phone call claiming it, then walked to my computor and saw a different buyer ask for it on the post, and then a third via EMAIL! My contact info was all on the public profile window. Now I had a problem! I sold to the caller because I SAID he 'had it', but checking back I saw that the email actually came before the phone call buyer.
So making a specific way of claiming the item for sale is a good thing.
One other problem, I've had some say I'll take it for less than the asking price. A second inquiry says they'll take it as is. The first inquiry says he "was first in line" and claims he was 'working the deal' and would pay full price IF his first offer was refused.
It can get complicated!
Working on the internet or telephone is different than dealing with local face to face deals. When local, you can say "first one to have the cash" or similar, and give someone 24 hours or whatever time limit you agree on.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 AM

Default Selling on Saubier....

The "Nature of the Beast" is: this is great place for the opportunity to sell something related to firearms, but the opportunity to buy is "diluted" by many different ways of responding. I don't see any way to control this more than the trust in the honesty of the seller. I consider a Seller offering here, on this site, an act of respect to those that share this site with them, by giving them an opportunity to purchase. Every purchase I have made from this site has been with very cordial and honest individuals. In fact, they (some) have made apologies that the item sold, thus leaving so many desiring to purchase. I can't say the same about all my other "auction-site" purchases. I know when I want to sell something, I am looking for that first person that will step up and pay my price under my conditions. If this does not happen; then I get my "negotiating shoes" on. Since this is not a Selling-Site, with rigid rules, we must trust each of us to behave with respect and honesty-This seems to be what I have experienced and seen on Saubier.
...But...I have missed some really good deals here! And I am consoled that someone on Saubier got the item, though, even if it was not ME!
Bill
Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

my process exactly, time and date and i usually let the next guy know if the deal falls thru i will let him know, then let him know it is actually sold so he can move on. there has been cases where the deal fell thru and the second guy got it after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I've been on both ends. First is the guy that yells "I'll take it" and then upon locking it up proceeds to bargain or qualify his purchase and then starts to dictate to me his terms for completing a purchase, I have a tendancy to get pissy with those. Other side of the coin is when someone posts something for sale, I commit to buy it within minutes, but he's off line. Then I get the email it's already sold...how can that happen...pretty simple. Those of us that sell usually sell on more than one site. Not uncommon to post it here on Saubier, off to GGVG, then to 6mmBR.com, and finally RFC. Guy on Saubier tags it immediately, but I'm gone, by the time I'm through and check my email I've got 2 guys with I'll take it. Those guys sent PM's, which forwarded to my email. If any of those I'll take it's have qualifications that weren't covered in the listing, ie I need more pics to make a decision, etc I'm onto the next guy. I absolutely go by time and date stamps on any offer, PM or I"ll take it, and when I get one I quickly go over all sites I listed on, before replying. Not uncommon for someone to buy it through a PM before a "I'll take it" shows up in a thread.