Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 AM

Default Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Hey AJ, was that one a low serial number 20VT with monte carlo stock?
One and the same! How is it shooting for you?

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Hey AJ, was that one a low serial number 20VT with monte carlo stock?
It did have a low serial #. It was a safe queen as it was just too pretty. It shot great the few times I did shoot it. I take it that you have her now? What that rifle really needed was a few scratches so you didn't worry abouty taking it out and shooting it.
AJ
Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Supporting Member

She's shootin' pretty good, Gary. Now has several hundred PD's under her belt, AJ. Took her to northern NM last two summers for a good workout. Really love the 20VT. Got Adam Bentley to make 500 pcs of brass for it & the sister rifle. All now fireformed & ready to work up loads. I want to try working up a good 40 grain load. Take care guys. Joe
Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 PM

Default Name Change....

Is the main difference between the Predator and the Varminter just "name" or what....? Seems the name "Predator" is in conflict with Remington's "Predator" models. But, so what: I like the name Predator better than Varminter, unless some physical change in the rifle requires a name change.
Also, for those that have Coopers and Dakotas, is it harder to "pluck" cases from the smaller ejection port on the Dakotas??
Bill
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

The loading port is a little tight top to bottom, so if you have big hands/fingers, it could be a minor problem. Glen probably designed it that way for maximum stiffness because of his BR action background.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Dakota vs. Cooper

I have not found removing cases from the Dakota to be a problem but my hands are not overly large. Both are great rifles with (in my opinion) the Dakota being better finished but also being noticeably heavier than the Cooper.

I have found that the accuracy between the two is a coin toss and is more likely due to rifle-to-rifle variation than one brand being necessarily better than the other. I would probably rather carry the Cooper and shoot the Dakota!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Supporting Member

I would agree with that assessment, Gary. I don't like the stiff bolt lift of the Cooper, nor that striaght out bolt handle, but I love the way it shoots. The Dakota is just so much smoother & more refined, and they shoot really well, too. For the PD shoots I've been going on in northern NM, these have been the perfect rifles (22 K-Hornet & 20VT). Ranges don't get much over about 350 unless you just set up for the longer range. I'm there to shoot, so if there are plenty targets within the shorter (350 yds) range, that's what I'm gonna do. The setup is a portable swivel bench in the back of a PU truck, not the steadiest arrangement, but out to the 350 range it works quite well. Biggest problem is keeping a rifle up with a cool barrel. You really need to be rotating 3 rifles, but I normally rotate 2 at a time. This year we shot Wednesday beginning after lunch, shot all day Thursday & shot Friday morning, then a little after lunch. In that time, a little over 2 full days, I went through 850-900 rounds, so I stayed pretty darn busy on the trigger.