Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-10-2015, 12:54 AM

Default Gun cleaning help/advice

normally i use wipe, and also hoppes no. 9. once my patches start to come out clean while using the wipe out i try to just get the last bit with hoppes no. 9 and a bronze brush. after brushing i wet my patch with no. 9 and its filthy dirty i continue and it always seams to be dirty. my bronze brushes don't seem to last long either. so my question is my bronze brush just being eaten by my chemicals or do i have some stubborn carbon deposits? i clean my rifles regularly but have never gotten to the point where my patches come out clean unless i use a nylon brush and patches. thank you for any advice on the matter
Old 05-10-2015, 02:12 AM

There is powder residue and copper to be concerned with. Residue will come out with most any cleaner but copper is harder to remove. I have some Cooper rifles and the barrels clean much quicker than other rifles so that leads one to believe the better the barrel, the less imperfections to hold copper and therefore the quicker it will clean. Follow the directions on copper removers and you should be OK.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:28 AM

this is a factory barrel so its more prone to fouling quicker and heavier, i have a 17 rem with a pac-nor select match barrel that is much faster to clean so i definitely agree some barrels are easier to clean than others but i don't believe this is copper I'm dealing with. I've used a few different copper solvents like wipeout and others which show blue when copper is present in the barrel and the patches come out clean when using wipeout. my concern is when i think my barrel is clean and my wipeout patches are coming out clean, i use some hoppes no. 9 on a wet patch and follow with a few passes with my bronze brush to make sure nothing is left in the barrel and when i patch that out the patch is black. Ive let wipeout sit in my barrel night after night and follow up with more patches each morning but once i try and scrub with a brush i get black patches. i can't tell if its still dirty or its the brush getting eaten away.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 AM

A search on here will bring up some advice, one in particular, started by montdoug on the 3rd of January this year is quite comprehensive.
Ken.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 AM

I use KG products carbon remover and copper remover both are made with no amonia in them and can be left in the barrel for long periods periodicly i soak a few patches in one ofthem and stand over night then bronze brush and clean out i always wash my brush after using copper remover to stop it going bald like me
Wally
Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 AM

Good to see you back, Wally.
Ken.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
I use KG products carbon remover and copper remover both are made with no amonia in them and can be left in the barrel for long periods periodicly i soak a few patches in one ofthem and stand over night then bronze brush and clean out i always wash my brush after using copper remover to stop it going bald like me
Wally
Good to see you posting again, Wally.

To the OP,

I think you are seeing the results of your brush breaking down. The only way to know for sure is look with a borescope. As long as your accuracy is there, don't worry about it.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:56 PM

Well presented, Harold.
Since I switched to wipeout and overnight soak, I've only ever had to repeat with my old 9.3x62- which has a rough bore. All the rest clean up with just that one cleaning- a re-soak brings out clean patches- wonderful stuff. For a quick range clean - non - perfect clean, I use Butches Bore Shine 50:50 with KROIL- soak for 10 or 15 minutes then patch out - done a couple times while it cools seems to work OK.
The overnight soak with WipeOut is the best & easiest cleaning I've seen 47 years of cleaning my rifle barrels. the PatchOut, same company with the Accelerator, seems no better, no worse than BBShine,with or without the Kroil - to me.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies, they are very appreciated and valued. I think I have settled on the fact that until I get a borescope I'll just have to do the best I can and use my own judgement. In this instance I do believe my rifle is cleaned more than enough and it is just my brushes breaking down from the chemicals. It's always been a good shooting rifle and has always shot well after it's been cleaned. Thank you all again.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 PM

EVERY barrel, has it's own DNA....which is also influenced by the hardness of the copper jacket, metallurgical makeup of the copper jacket, coating on bullet (if used!), type of powder, how hot the barrel gets, etc, etc, etc.

So, no one method may work on every barrel.