Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-19-2020, 02:26 AM

Question

That would be safe=firing .228 loaded neck size in the .235 chamber.

You would be working the brass a little more, and work hardening would come into play. Split necks could happen after ?? firings/resizing, and that can be addressed with annealing every few loadings. No exact predictions can be made.

ANY brass can or will split after x-xx-or xxx firings. Just depends when.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:33 AM

Hi strkr,

thank you for the education. I understand the fact that the brass will expand more and thus be worked harder. I was just wondering if there is a maximum clearance at which the neck will split.

But, I would argue that such is not possible given the non-standard chambers and cases for wildcat cartridges.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 09-19-2020, 03:20 AM

Pick your brass then pick the reamer to fit.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkr View Post
That would be safe=firing .228 loaded neck size in the .235 chamber.

You would be working the brass a little more, and work hardening would come into play. Split necks could happen after ?? firings/resizing, and that can be addressed with annealing every few loadings. No exact predictions can be made.

ANY brass can or will split after x-xx-or xxx firings. Just depends when.
That .007" is a little excessive, however there are factory hunting rifle chambers with that much clearance - some Remington chambers are that way. My M700 in .22-250 showed .0075" expansion on a fired case.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:30 PM

JGS doesn't have a 20VT reamer print of mine on file for the Lapua brass, they have one for Rem fireball and LC 223 brass of mine I form and turn the necks.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:59 PM

My Cooper 38 has .232 neck diameter chamber. I have both Remington and Lapua 221 Fireball brass. The Remington brass measures outside neck diameter .247 and the Lapua brass measures .248. The neck thickness of the Remington brass is .14 and the Lapua brass measures the same at .14. I am using a set of Hornady dies and I when I size the Remington brass it decreases the outside neck diameter to .227 and a loaded bullet makes it .228-.229 from my measurements. Fired brass comes out at .232. I don't see why the Lapua would not work for you if you go with a .232.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:50 PM

Lapua must have changed there brass then because I have measured multiple case necked down to 20 cal and loaded rounds all are .2315 ish.
Theres multiple instances also were guys start having bolt clickers with Lapua brass without the .200 line a little bigger than the original VT design
Old 09-19-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefizto View Post
Hi strkr,

thank you for the education. I understand the fact that the brass will expand more and thus be worked harder. I was just wondering if there is a maximum clearance at which the neck will split.

But, I would argue that such is not possible given the non-standard chambers and cases for wildcat cartridges.

Kindest regards,

M
Remember, neck splits are more often caused by hardened brass and the lack of annealling, more so than expansion issues.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Greetings all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
Pick your brass then pick the reamer to fit.
But that is the problem, you see. Please compare the reply by Ganderson with that of 218 Bee and you own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
Theres multiple instances also were guys start having bolt clickers with Lapua brass without the .200 line a little bigger than the original VT design.
Yes, but that issue has been settled, at least on all the reamer prints I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
That .007" is a little excessive, however there are factory hunting rifle chambers with that much clearance - some Remington chambers are that way. My M700 in .22-250 showed .0075" expansion on a fired case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Remember, neck splits are more often caused by hardened brass and the lack of annealling, more so than expansion issues.
Exactly, but the excessive clearance contributes to the issue. So what would be an acceptable clearance?

My current thinking is as follows. Specify the neck at 0.234 inches. That way the Lapua brass will fit, and if it becomes unavailable, I can reform from different cases and turn necks.

Does it sound reasonable?

Kindest regards,

M
Old 09-20-2020, 12:16 PM

Gene is correct, loaded Lapua is gonna come out to very close at .232.
I dont know were 218 got the Lapua loaded at .229. Ive never seen it or heard of it with out turning, his fired brass is coming out at .232 because thats what his neck chamber is it can't expand bigger no matter what brass it is.
My best advice is doing what Gene said YOU neck down some Lapua and measure a loaded round