Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-25-2020, 09:13 PM

Default 55 berger in 20ppc

I would like to compare notes with guys using this combination. I think most people who are shooting 20ppc are probably using lighter bullets, but there must be a few who think like me (I hope). I'm committed to the 55 because of less wind deflection. I just ordered 2000 from Graf's when they come in Oct. Berger is running them now. I'd be interested in what works for others i.e. barrel twist, powders, seating depth, velocity.
Will appreciate your experienced response.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:50 AM

Default 20 PPC Improved (20 Titan)

I don’t know how valuable my experience is, especially since my experience is with a 20 Titan, but here it is. I have a 20 Titan (20 PPC improved) on a Bat action, 9” twist, 3 groove PacNor 27” barrel. I do have a 20 PPC in a Dakota but haven’t used anything heavier than a 50 grain bullet in it.

I have only shot 9 groups of 3 shots each with this rifle using Benchmark or IMR 8208. Groups with Benchmark ranged from .068” to .294” and groups with IMR 8208 ranged from .098” to .441”. Groups generally improved as the powder charge increased. Also, you must take into consideration that I am NOT a good shooter. I was simply working up some loads for prairie dog shooting. I would rather not list powder charges, especially since this is a 20 Titan, not a 20 PPC.

I did not experience any pressure signs and haven’t gotten back to working with it for several years now.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-26-2020, 07:09 PM

Thanks Gary. Do you know what kind of velocity you got? For me Varget has seemed best at about 3400 in my first rifle. A little faster in the one I'm working with now (BAT action, 9 twist Krieger). Seating depth is interesting. I used to think a little into the lands, but just discovered that this barrel seems to prefer .010 to .015 off.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Default Velocity

I didn’t chronograph the loads but I was estimating 3400 - 3450. Haven’t been back to work with it for a few years.. Life keeps getting in the way!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member