Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Default 17 Hornet brass-bad lot?

Was there a bad lot of of 17 Hornady Hornet brass?

I have been unpacking all the boxes of stuff I got while over seas and have 500 rounds of 17Hornet brass lot number 4130708.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Yip 4130708 is the bad lot. I have 3 boxes of it. I called Hornady and they said they would replace it but at the time they didn't have any and had no date on when they would. So for now I feel a little screwed. The guy on the phone suggested a primer pocket normalizing tool, my head almost exploded but I kept my cool and reminded him they were a buck apiece, ya Lapua brass price. Anyway not all that lot is bad, so you will just have to look. All mine are bad. Good luck. sgtg out
Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 PM

sgtg,

In what way were your brass bad? Was it tight primer pockets?

Thanks!
Ken
Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 PM

I have not checked the pocket diameter but the flash hole has a big bur that in some cases blocks half the flash hole. Search 17 hornet brass on this forum and find that title, there are a few pictures. sgtg out
Old 04-04-2014, 02:41 AM

I have 500 rounds of the the stuff and have been through 100 rounds of it. So far just normal flash hole burrs. Nothing as bad as I have seen before in other cases. No where near as bad as covering half the hole. Deburring tool cleans it right up---a standard procedure for me with new brass for varmints or match shooting.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I have 500 rounds of the the stuff and have been through 100 rounds of it. So far just normal flash hole burrs. Nothing as bad as I have seen before in other cases. No where near as bad as covering half the hole. Deburring tool cleans it right up---...

Maybe I should say so far...
Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 AM
Supporting Member

I understood the primer pockets to be tapered in at the bottom or at least that's what I heard. I got a bunch of the first loaded ammo Midway had and it hasn't caused me any grief at all so far in my CZ but it is beginning to sound like a batch to batch issue compounded by the serious lack of everything not only for shooters but manufacturers as well. Not sure who makes Hornady's brass for them?
As much as it sure isn't right to "have to" uniform the primer pockets on today's high dollar brass it does seem that might be a fix if it is indeed tapered primer pockets that is the problem?
Crummy deal all the way around, I wouldn't be surprised if the shortages combined with whatever the problem might be killed this baby in the crib . Dang shame too, at MidSouth's original price of $16.29 per box of 25 it sure would provide the non reloader a great clone of the .17 Ackley Hornet they could buy over the counter.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:55 AM

Case head is cupped, as is the bottom of the primer pocket, some pockets too shallow while others are tapered.

Around 30% of a box of 50 had severely restricted flasholes, that had to be drilled out then deburred:

All this batch need uniforming and a LOT of prep before use... in Australia it sells for around $45/50
Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Not sure who makes Hornady's brass for them?
Montdoug,

I believe "Frontier" (owned by Hornady) makes their brass. And I have heard that from time to time (like any company I suppose) they have a major "Oops." with their production line. (There's an interesting story Todd Kindler told me once about the .204Ruger, that is related to a Frontier "oops".)

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Default 17 HH brass

At the price I paid ,nearly $50.00 a box of 50 I don't feel I should have to fix the stuff up to use it. When Hornady has some in stock I will be glad to exchange it for some that is correct. sgtg out