Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Default Which Action?

I recently acquired a Remington 660 in .222. I want to build a .17 mach 4 and was told it wouldn't feed reliably through that action, so I got a single-shot adaptor that sits in the top of the magazine. Would a Sako L46 with the box magazine be a better choice? What's the better action to use for this project? All opinions welcome!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

I used a CZ in 222 and it feeds fine.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM

I would think a 660 in 222 would also feed a Mach IV. Try it to see. You should be able to see how they come out of the mag. Although you won't be able to chamber them the feeding process should be complete when they start to enter the chamber. A little polishing may be all you need. The Sako action is of superior quality, but the Remchester will work fine for your intended purpose.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Mini Mauser in 17M4 that I'd like to sell. But only to someone on this board so I haven't listed it yet. I have no idea what it is worth. Check it out and let me know if there is any interest.

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/bui...17mach-iv.html

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

HB,

Best test might be to get a hold of a 17MK IV case or 17FB case and see if it ejects/feeds from the mag and chamber. I suspect (and this is conjecture, as I don't have 660 action) that it may feed fine, but extract/eject incorrectly due to large/long bolt pull (relative to the cartridge length). I suspect this only because I have a 17MK IV built on a Savage Model 10 action, and while it feeds well (and without problem) from a SS adapter, upon extraction the case is so short that the ejector pushes it from the bolt face before the case rides back to the ejection port. Leaving the casing sitting in the SS adapter versus throwing it clear.

Like I said, this is just conjecture/suspicion on my part, and a simple test would be to put an empty case (without a bullet seated in it) to function check (just make sure its up against the bolt face, fully engaged by the extractor, before fully chambering. Keep a cleaning rod handy in case it comes of the bolt face...

JMTCW...YMMV...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17mk4

I have a L461 that is chambered in 20VT and it feeds, and a L46 in 221FB which also feeds. Neither are exactly the same as the 17MK4 but are close in that they share the same parent case. I think your best option and probably the cheapest is the CZ 527 in 221FB. The 660/600 action is probably going to suffer from the same issue the Mdl7/700 does with problematic ejection even if you can get it to feed.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 AM

Thumbs up I agree with Chuck......

.....about the Sako L461 or AI action.

They work fine, with the 17 Mach IV cartridge. I have a few of them.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin
pic of future project.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks Kevin. I hope you saw the pics of the factory .17 rem A1 sako stainless varminter I put on here for you as promised. I like yours! Do you have any experience of the Remington 600/660?