Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Supporting Member

Default Confessions of a Rifle Looney!

Hornetboy,
As others have said, need has nothing to do with it. Heard a saying years ago to which I can totally relate. It goes something like this....."The difference between a man an a boy, is the price of his toys."

Alex and Remmynut

Sounds like you guys have been reading my mail.

I fund most of my purchase by churning. I’ve owned well over 100 centerfire rifles in the last 20 years. I buy them cheap and trade up.
At one time I had 16 Sako’s. I’m down to 6 if my memory holds.
Here are a couple of triple deuce “cousins” as I call them.

Both looked like they’d never been shot when I got them. The heavy barreled Vixen I bought back before the “internet” was around. I looked high and low for four years before I found it. I wasn’t even looking for the Riihimaki, and stumbled across it last year. At the time I was financially embarrassed. Luckily I was able to put it on lay-a-way.

To date, I’ve built one using an S-491 action I bought cheap. Never changed out a barrel on any. Changing something like this….

would be a sacrilege, or a hanging offense at least (where I come from).

Even my AV in 375 H & H is a sub inch shooter if I don’t flinch.

Now as to Coopers……..
Coopers have become my latest obsession. Try to buy them used at say 60% of retail. I’m patient. It took me 10 years to find the 20 Vartarg at the price I wanted.

I am currently completing a purchase of a Varmint Extreme, Model 21 lefty in 223, and I’m a righty.

Perhaps I should celebrate. It’s my 12th Cooper and I got it for 12 Benjamins. I just couldn’t pass it up.

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetboy View Post
Thanks fella's. I suppose I meant to also enquire about the relative differences and advantages (or otherwise) of a Mach1V against a .17 Rem or .222 as a fox shooting cartridge. I like to collect the occasional skin too. Very appreciative of your input. What a great site!
All three are excellent choices, but if I was forced to pick one of the above it would be the Mach IV. If the list was unlimited, I would go with the 17 AH or 22 Hornet with 30 gr Calhoons from a pelt damage standpoint. If you want to not destroy the pelt, stay away from the super explosive plastic tipped bullets. Try some of the lesser explosive or match type bullets to save the pelt. Some bullets just blow the heck out of them.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
All three are excellent choices, but if I was forced to pick one of the above it would be the Mach IV. If the list was unlimited, I would go with the 17 AH or 22 Hornet with 30 gr Calhoons from a pelt damage standpoint. If you want to not destroy the pelt, stay away from the super explosive plastic tipped bullets. Try some of the lesser explosive or match type bullets to save the pelt. Some bullets just blow the heck out of them.
+1 on that!

Don't take a whole lot to booger up a pelt on the small greys!

GWB
Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Supporting Member

You also have the option of loading down with H4895 in the 17 Remington.
We shoot a lot of 20gr bullets with 17gr H4895 prairie dog hunting.
This is a recommended load by Hodgdon. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

Default need?

I always enjoy the responses to "why do I need it", knew the Saubier Purchase Mentors would rise to the occasion.

In the North Texas area most of my shots on greys are pretty close, around 50yds, can't remember having to take a shot on one more than that, probably more a function of where I hunt. I can download something but prefer to use a 22K Hornet and a small hollowpoint as the plastic tipped pills just seem to make a mess. As mentioned the 17mk4 can be downloaded and I'm sure coming up with a fox specific load should be easy. I just think that any 17 cal pushed in excess of 3600fps is going to make a mess at 50-100 yds on something as small as a grey fox. Downloading to the 3K range is possible I've just not had any luck doing it and keeping it accurate. Maybe a 222 Trailboss load using a 40gr HP.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I always enjoy the responses to "why do I need it", knew the Saubier Purchase Mentors would rise to the occasion.

In the North Texas area most of my shots on greys are pretty close, around 50yds, can't remember having to take a shot on one more than that, probably more a function of where I hunt. I can download something but prefer to use a 22K Hornet and a small hollowpoint as the plastic tipped pills just seem to make a mess. As mentioned the 17mk4 can be downloaded and I'm sure coming up with a fox specific load should be easy. I just think that any 17 cal pushed in excess of 3600fps is going to make a mess at 50-100 yds on something as small as a grey fox. Downloading to the 3K range is possible I've just not had any luck doing it and keeping it accurate.

Chuck,
you and prolly many members here have much more experience in bustin' predators and varmints than I. I describe myself as a short range meat hunter. As such I've recovered from "magnumitis" in shooting hogs and deer for table fare. It seems that on that type of game, at 200 yds and under and a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps and under, one can eat right up to the bullet hole. I would tend to speculate that on greys the least frangible round at 3100 fps and under would be a safe bet for saving pelts.

GWB
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 AM

Have any of you built a Mach1V on an XP100 Rem action? What did you think?That's another option.Thanks for all your input.