Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
Hi Stu,

I do not know what small game down under is, but sounds like you are pretty happy with the standard bee. One has to have speed with the little bullets, whereas the larger bullets can lope along and still hit hard at range sorta speak.

The Mashburn is near and dear to my heart, I used to cruise his shop in Oklahoma City when I was younger. I tend to like sharp shouldered wildcats in my later years. With all of that said, some of the sharper shouldered wildcats can have some relatively hard to get and pricey dies. I would like to forget what I paid for my form and sizer dies for the bumble bee. Of couse, if one is handy with the lathe, dies can be built up from billet.....might be some speciality tooling in there though.

I personally tend to dislike sharp report, so I tend to use a longer barrel. In a No1V frame, the 24 or a 26+ would be the ticket for me. Since weight is not an issue, perhaps a 5 1/2 Shilen style might be considered. I have a 17 Remington on a No.1 with that stainless barrel taper, fairly heavy, but I like it with its 27" barrel length.

If the 218 Bee is good, then perhaps one of the 222 family might work too, or perhaps even a swift. I do not know how brass availablity is down your way, so chambering selection might have those considerations being applicable.

Once one gets out of the standard run of the mill cartridges, the ots/oem dies can get more expensive...........but the brass seems to last longer.

My suggestions may not apply but I do have an appreciation for the bees....all of them.............especially in a no.1 chassis of some sort.

Rick W.
Thanks Rick W,
The main reason for the Bee is that running loads with 11 grains of powder and pushing little 40 grain pills works so well. Cheap, accurate and very efficient. I have a Swift and have had 223s, but nothing compares to the Bee. Target game is rabbit, fox and certain grass eaters native to this country.
I did consider the new 17 Hornet, but I have already experienced the Ackley version and it just does not have enough power. Even my 17 Rem Fireball only just cuts it. I have switched between all three cals in the one night of shooting and found the Bee leaves the others for dead. No disrespect to bigger cals like the 222 and 223. They have their place as well, but I can enjoy the Bee so much more than other cals I have used.

Cheers,
Stu
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM

Default 218 bee

STU: Great to here from the LAND DOWN UNDER. Had a lot of AUSSIE friends in VIET NAM back in the 60`s & 70`s even had a R&R scheluded for you country but it was cancelled and I never got to go I always regreted that.
My first CF rifle was a model 43 Win in 218 bee. Bought it used in 1963 and It had an old K-6 Weaver on top of it. And I shot a truck load of jackrabits, PD`S, and a few coyotes with it and I bet I have carried it 100 miles. I thought I was in tall cotton. I used 46gr win hp`s or 45 gr rem hp`s because my rifle has a clip. But the rifle wears and old 6-18x40 redfield on it now the old weaver gave up the ghost. My brass was getting real old and new brass was out of sight but I found 4 unopened bags of win brass at an estate sale and I am back to shooting it a gain. I am using horaday 35gr V-MAXS now and it shoots better than it ever did. Still use IMR-4227 for the powder. I may try H-110 one of these days don`t know. My little rifle shoot less than an 1in at a 100 with with the 35gr V-MAX`S. I have shot coyotes with it passed 200 yrds but that is pushing thing I think. THis old rifle is like and old friend and I took it for a walk the other evening the geese were making a lot of noise down by the river and it turned out to be a coyote that was bothering them. He never new I was there 80 yd shot a best DRT never even moved except to drop. He was sick had the worst case of mange I ever seen on a coyote did him a favor. Had to leave him lay. I can`t emagin changing one thing on this old rifle. I hope you enjoy your as much as I have mine. ken