Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Neither JB or IOSSO will harm a barrel if used properly, and by that I mean using a bore guide and a good one piece rod. What is worse is letting copper and carbon fouling build up, thinking you're cleaning the barrel.

There is far more abrasive and harmful things getting in your barrel each time you pull the trigger from powder residue and primer compounds.

Good bore cleaner and a bronze brush should do 95% of your barrel cleaning, but they don't get everything.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM

I have 2 used 17 barrels that I shoot both have been re-chambered to 17 Fireball. Both are from a friend of mine that uses JB liberally as in every time he cleaned the barrels he used JB. The first is an Ackley barrel that he had chambered in 17 Bee in the late 60's the other is a stainless Shilen that he had chambered in Bee also in the early 70's. Both barrels now still shoot under an inch with the Shilen it will do under 1/2" when I do my part. I don't have a bore scope so I cant tell you what they look like inside, but they had been cleaned for nearly 3 decades with JB before I got them.

Bob
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetboy View Post
I know we've talked about this before, but are there any new opinions on the relative benefits of JB or IOSSO to clean your .17 cals?
JB weld? Fill the barrel up with that and leave it for a few days then clean it out. Works wonders. JK JK DON'T DO THAT.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM

One thing I have noticed using JB in my barrels. Good or bad the muzzle crown becomes highly polished and ever so slightly rounded out. In other words, where the bore exits the barrel is not as sharp as it was when newly cut. I don't believe it has harmed accuracy that I can tell.