Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Default Rimfire suppressor

I have the Sparrow. I also have a VQ Super-Lite that had to have the barrel recut to fit the suppressor standard thread. Having to redo the barrel thread made no sense to me. It should have been ready when building the gun.

The tech at SilencerCO suggested weighing the suppressor before use and determining when to clean by a certain increase in weight. However, he also suggested cleaning after 1,000 rounds. The barrel will build up carbon much quicker with the suppressor requiring more cleaning.

Shooting sub-sonic 22 rimfire results in virtually no sonic crack. Can actually hear the semi-auto mechanism functioning. With the 17hmr there is a sonic crack. Had the muzzle cut on my Anschutz which was not cheap and took time to get it back.

My idea was to slow down the reaction of ground squirrels hiding during an extended shooting session.

Would I have done this knowing the results? Mixed emotions about this. Not sure if I would.

Chuck
Old 10-21-2017, 05:07 PM

I've had many custom rifles built.

I didn't find the process of waiting on suppressors even remotely similar.

With the rifles, I could find out exactly where we were in the process at any time. Knew going in how long it was going to take. Could get regular updates etc. Heck, I could even make significant changes right up until the very last minute.

With the suppressors the whole thing was a total black box. Once the process was begun, there was nobody that could tell me anything at all about what was going on. Call the BATF and a courteous representative would look up my serial #, politely inform me that the status hadn't changed and that they had no way of knowing why it hadn't or when or even if it ever would. Total, complete information blackout.

With the rifles, I didn't pay for any of the work until after it was complete, the rifle had been delivered and I agreed that I was satisfied.

With the suppressors I paid every dime up front. Then began a wait with no defined limits, no transparency in the process, no information, no anything except "status hasn't changed" for an entire year.

Guys that bought the same suppressors from the same place up to two months after I paid for mine got theirs approved and were using them before I got mine. Call to ask what/why. Nothing. Status hasn't changed, no idea why, can't tell you anything except call back in another month.

When I finally did get the stamp for my TBAC, the form showed it had been approved six weeks before it was mailed. WTF? Again, absolutely no way of finding out anything.

Never mind the paper work and paying a $200 tax for the suppressors - again, up front.

No, I didn't find the suppressor buying and waiting experience anything at all like the custom rifle build waiting process. Not even a little bit.

I know I'm the odd man out. But for me, that is the only time in my life I have paid upfront for something with a totally undefined waiting period with a total information black out and utter lack of any communication of rhyme or reason as to why mine took much longer than others.

I'm just going to say "no thanks" to any of that again. Guess I just have a lower than normal tolerance for bureaucracy.

- DAA
Old 10-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Supporting Member

Apparently there at least two odd people in the world , Dave.

Suppressors are like most things............ Some folks see them as being kin to the second coming of something or someone and others go ho-hum and move on. I'm in the move on crowd. The waiting time frame has no part in my feelings. I too have waited long periods of time for custom rifles built to fit me.

The only redeeming feature of the rifle I bought because the muzzle was threaded is the fact that the barrel also came with a decent barrel muzzle thread protector for after the newness wore off.

Where I am now on the issue, there's no way I would take a nice vintage or well built and expensive rifle and have the muzzle threaded without have a very nice muzzle thread protector built for it at the same time that its threaded. And no way would I bob the barrel so the ensuing combination isn't like trying to handle a long tree branch in a coat closet. In fact, in the future I'm pretty sure that whether a muzzle is threaded or can be threaded won't be a thing I even worry about....

Maybe chop the barrel on a Ruger American or some other disposal type of rife to make it and the can handy together, but I'm not going there on an otherwise good rifle in one of my safes. The benefits that others see definitely aren't there for me.....

I like a good pair of electronic muffs that handle the sound for me, whether I'm shooting at a range or while I'm hunting. They are far less cumbersome to me than is a rifle with an attachment on the end of the barrel. And if I'm being rude to someone else because I don't shoot suppressed, which seems to be a current best internet argument for some suppressor advocates, so be it. Either I or they can move on.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 10-21-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Rim fire Suppressor questions-help please

I understand the process is basically the same, but maybe slightly faster and that it is better to file/sign up for a permit under the Process for a trust fund account, that way the suppressor's can be moved to family members, etc. rather than just locked into the one person obtaining the proper permits too own from ATF/Fed. What about that ? Bill K
Old 10-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I understand the process is basically the same, but maybe slightly faster and that it is better to file/sign up for a permit under the Process for a trust fund account, that way the suppressor's can be moved to family members, etc. rather than just locked into the one person obtaining the proper permits too own from ATF/Fed. What about that ? Bill K
Having a trust set up as part of the purchase of a suppressor is the only way to reasonably do it under the current laws pertaining to suppressors.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-21-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Since 41F went into affect using a trust doesn't have the same advantage/s it used to and from what I have been hearing, purchasing as a individual and not using a trust, is processing a little faster than for those who used a trust. I used a trust for mine and I still think the trust holds some advantage but it's just not as great as it used to be. Also, since 41F, every person that is added to the trust has to submit fingerprint cards and photos. Everyone that is now added to a trust is called a "Responsible Person" and has to submit the same information and go through the same background check/s as the trust owner. I'm guessing this is why the trusts are taking a little longer than those going as an individual.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:06 PM

The best Moderator for .22 i have found is one that fits a Weihrauch 100,

better than any dedicated sound Mod ive bought.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:10 PM

I have used S A K mods for years on my 22lr and 17HMR and a friend of mine had one on his 22Hornet for 17 years all three could be stripped for cleaning its surprising how much unburnt powder is left in them but 5 min job twice a year sorts them
Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 PM

Man this is a heavy duty topic and I certainly didn't mean to cause an argument. There is a lot of pros & cons. This leaves me very undecided about suppressing my rim fires. Having leg disabilities I bench shoot my center fires only and wasn't even considering a suppressor for them at the time. I just wanted one for my rim fires to shoot at home without disturbing the few neighbors I have.

Several years ago one of my good friends set up a trust and got his permit and paperwork through it. He has several suppressors for his 223's and 308's. At the time he set up the trust, he said he put my name on it as the secretary or something like that and that if I ever wanted one, he could buy it for me and furnish the paperwork I'd need to keep it at my house. Like I said earlier, I know nothing about this scenario, yet. I'd have to do some research. If it wasn't a trust, it was a LLC corporation, I just can't remember what he said, I'll have to contact him.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift220 View Post

Several years ago one of my good friends set up a trust and got his permit and paperwork through it. He has several suppressors for his 223's and 308's. At the time he set up the trust, he said he put my name on it as the secretary or something like that and that if I ever wanted one, he could buy it for me and furnish the paperwork I'd need to keep it at my house. Like I said earlier, I know nothing about this scenario, yet. I'd have to do some research. If it wasn't a trust, it was a LLC corporation, I just can't remember what he said, I'll have to contact him.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback.

Jim D
SE Texas
It doesn't quite work that way. Depending on the laws of your state, if you were not present when your friends trust was initially created and notarized, you could be invalid on his trust. He could add you now but you'll still have to fill out the same forms and submit the finger print cards and photos, the same as if you were doing it for yourself.

There would be no benefit to buying a suppressor through your friends trust. Regardless of who paid for the item, it would always be owned by your friends trust as if he bought it. The only way you could gain legal ownership would be by resubmitting all the forms, fingerprint cards, photos, etc. and paying ANOTHER $200 for a tax stamp as well as waiting another 9-12 months.