Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2017, 10:34 PM

Default Case shoulder stretch on 17hh

It has been a long time coming, but I finally got in a Hornady head space comparator for the 17hh. Up until now I have just full length sized and called it good. The head space comparator kit that I purchased long ago had a comparator for just about everything - the smallest being for 17 rem/204 rug but I had to order a separate comparator just for the 17hh size case. Comparing factory loads with fired brass I get a 25/1000's difference. This seems like quite a bit to me, but I am not an expert reloader by any stretch of the imagination. So, I turn to the experts (you) to validate that this is a "normal" difference for such a small case. Also, when resizing these fired cases, how many thousandths should I set the shoulder back to get the best case life and accuracy? Thanks in advance for your $0.02. Burt
Old 10-31-2017, 10:44 PM

From a fellow "non-expert," I neck size, and when the bolt closing gets a little stiff, set the FL sizing die gradually until it closes easily and resize the whole batch. Probably not the modern way to go, but it seems to work and case life is just fine.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 AM

On my 17A/H (almost same round) i neck size only using a backed off F/L die to only size the amount of neck that the bullet goes into on some cases i have re-loaded 15 times and never had a tight chambering yet and dont think i ever will the only cases i lose are the quick second shot ones i lose in the grass or in the dark ( i anneal every loading) but not up to the pressure limit only 3.650ft/sec with a 20gr case it gives me around 1/2" and its a load my gun likes i know 1/2" is poor according to some loaders but it is a Ruger 77/22h re-barreled to 17A/H PacNor style a lot of people would love 1/2" out of a Ruger
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Supporting Member

Is this in a factory chambered rifle? Do you know what the shoulder measurements are for "after resized" and after 2 and3 reloads? I'm curious how much you are setting it back and how the brass life might be affected, i.e. Setting the shoulder back more than needed, for a non dangerous game rifle ( lol) is detrimental to accuracy but more to future head separating issues in my opinion. I follow dungheaps idea of barely resizing most cartridges for longer brass life.

I have only used factory ammo on my 2 Cz 17hhs, and due to leadfree ammo will probably not reload these rifles.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:13 AM

This is a Savage model 25. I downloaded a SAMMI sheet on the 17 Hornet and those measurements are MUCH different than factory loaded Hornady ammo. I am comparing factory ammo to once fired factory ammo brass. Shoulder/head space is 25/1000 different after fired in my rifle and before reloading. Seems extreme to me, but it is what it is. I called Savage to ask questions about chamber dimensions and they probably thought that I was a slip an fall attorney and were very non-specific and evasive in their answers. I finally got someone to say that if the ammo measurements meet SAMMI specs and I have a 25/1000 difference then yes, that seems a bit much. They would not commit to whether it is safe or not. Referred me to the Ammo manufacturer. I called Hornady and they would not say if their ammo was produced to meet SAMMI specs or not. I had no idea that my question would elicit such evasive and defensive responses. I have unfired Hornady brass that measures about the same as my full length sized brass - about 8/1000 longer than factory loads and about 15/1000 shorter than fired brass. Anyway, I am going to work up some loads with just neck sizing or with a 2 or 3/1000's shoulder bump. Burt
Old 11-02-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
It has been a long time coming, but I finally got in a Hornady head space comparator for the 17hh. Up until now I have just full length sized and called it good. The head space comparator kit that I purchased long ago had a comparator for just about everything - the smallest being for 17 rem/204 rug but I had to order a separate comparator just for the 17hh size case. Comparing factory loads with fired brass I get a 25/1000's difference. This seems like quite a bit to me, but I am not an expert reloader by any stretch of the imagination. So, I turn to the experts (you) to validate that this is a "normal" difference for such a small case. Also, when resizing these fired cases, how many thousandths should I set the shoulder back to get the best case life and accuracy? Thanks in advance for your $0.02. Burt
I have over 3,000rounds through my .17AH now. I have never bumped or shoved a shoulder back- never touched a shoulder. I use Wilson hand dies which neck-size only. I have never needed to 'bump' a shoulder back.
Doug will attest I do not shoot wimpy loads.

I neck size or partial FL size everything - always have - never touch a shoulder - have never had to in any rifle, even my single shots.

I think bumping dies or shoulder bumping is just an excuse to sell someone something they don't need.

my '03 cased .375 makes 2,650fps with 270 TSX,
my September 1936 Winchester model 70 S#18XX makes 2,940fps with 165gr. SST's
my CZ Hornet makes 3,340fps with 40gr. & has for over 7,000 rounds - same original 500 cases
my .17SAH makes 3,640fps with 25gr. Vmax and HornadyHP, as well as 3,925fps with 20Vmax.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:26 PM

You are shooting a rimmed case. When you pull the trigger you are mating the shoulder with the chamber perfectly. You will NOT see this growth after the first firing. You are just fireforming the brass. Don't worry be happy, neck size and enjoy! The factory rifles are set up for the potential of thicker rims, which in turn will make the entire chamber deeper. Some one on here once checked Hornet rim thickness of most if not all brass mfgrs. and there is several thou difference between the brass depending on who made it. I had my chamber cut for a .064 rim thickness to take out most of this, but a factory rifle will use sammi spec for the rim.