Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Had some bad luck with gangerine in my left foot ( diabetic ) lost all 5 toes and still cant put weight on it
so not had chance to do any more tests but still looking for a sub load but a bit worried going below the 70% case capacity but will try it later i am looking for a safer load for sub 100yds bunnies in a couple of small gardens cause i dont like the bouncing 40gr HP.s in 22lr loads so hoping that the 20gr V/Max wont bounce as much but still pack enough power to drop mr bunny

Sorry to hear about the foot, Wally! WOW

For shooting under those circumstances, I'd not reduce the Trail Boss charge at all. At about 2,000fps to 2,200fps, THIS reduced velocity should still do the job without any bounces. Reducing the speed any more might contribute to bouncing due to not enough speed to break the bullet up.

I am taking care of this type of shooting with the purchase of an Air Force .25 cal PCP Condor Air rifle. Even with 33gr. pellets, it has the speed, accuracy and power to kill bunnies out to that range with chest shots.
To improve killing power, I obtained an NOE mould casting 4 52gr. FN BT bullets. Preliminary testing shows one tiny hole for accuracy at 25 yards. As weather permits me to shoot outside, I will test it at longer ranges.
Some of the guys have been using this same rifle to shoot gophers to 125 yards in the Calgary area.

Similar performance can be found with FX air rifles.

Tests with 33gr. round nosed pellets at 900fps form an FX air rifle, shows they will penetrate a windshield of a compact car to 75 meters and pen to the rubber layer to 80 meters - the car was a French Citroen.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Had some bad luck with gangerine in my left foot ( diabetic ) lost all 5 toes and still cant put weight on it
so not had chance to do any more tests but still looking for a sub load but a bit worried going below the 70% case capacity but will try it later i am looking for a safer load for sub 100yds bunnies in a couple of small gardens cause i dont like the bouncing 40gr HP.s in 22lr loads so hoping that the 20gr V/Max wont bounce as much but still pack enough power to drop mr bunny

Should I be worried about only using 1.7gr of Trailboss in a 17HH case? That surely doesn't equal 70% of the case capacity.

I was told that (s.e.e) is a myth

If your worried call Hodgdon and talk to them about reducing Trailboss below the listed starting load in their TB load data.

I sure don't want my barrel coming apart in my hands and my face
Old 01-30-2017, 03:09 AM

I easily fit 3.6gr. with a 25gr. Hp in an AH without compression in my short throat chamber. 1.7 gr. is 47%. 70% is 2.52gr. I tend to follow recommended powder charges.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I easily fit 3.6gr. with a 25gr. Hp in an AH without compression in my short throat chamber. 1.7 gr. is 47%. 70% is 2.52gr. I tend to follow recommended powder charges.
Everyone should follow proven recommended powder charges! Never take someone's word for it! Ever!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Should I be worried about only using 1.7gr of Trailboss in a 17HH case? That surely doesn't equal 70% of the case capacity.

I was told that (s.e.e) is a myth

If your worried call Hodgdon and talk to them about reducing Trailboss below the listed starting load in their TB load data.

I sure don't want my barrel coming apart in my hands and my face
I have shot thousands of reduced TB loads, far below the 70% range. I have talked to Hodgdon rep at length and on more than one occasion about TB. I even talked to the guy that helped develop TB a couple of times. There is no problem with the reduced loads as long as you have them going fast enough they don't get a bullet stuck in the barrel. That is where the original 70% recommendation came from, they know that is enough powder for the bullet to clear for sure.

I have shot loads as low as 20% and they work fine, but like everything work down and check you bore for obstruction as you go. A chronograph is a great help when testing loads. No point in shooting loads below about 800 fps. They don't get any quieter and very often accuracy drops off dramatically.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 PM

Yep, "Mike" is a nice guy

Not sure I would mess around with x700 or other powders the way you would with Trail boss.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 PM

Default 700x and "messing with lightning"

Don't mess with HS700x unless you are pretty dang certain you are a very type A person when it comes to all things, especially reloading cases in any caliber.

I have been using it for a long time now and have run into a few instances where things get scary.

That it is a very energetic powder is a bit of an obvious statement.

This being said, it is a pure joy to use if done with care. I have used it in .17VHA, .17FB, .17MIV, and .223 Rem with very good results. I have only very very gently approached the upper ends of where pressures begin to climb.

Trail Boss is a VERY safe powder by comparison. If I had some I would probably use it instead, but that stuff is UNOBTANIUM around here, so I went with HS700X.

As always BE CAREFUL, you only get ten fingers, 2 eyes, and they are pretty difficult to "repair".
Old 12-04-2017, 03:44 PM

I need to try TB with the 17 grain bullets.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Got myself a Theoben Eliminator gassram 30ft/lbs so for the time being i dont need a sub load for my 17A/H but will continue development soon as i am able
Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Don't mess with HS700x unless you are pretty dang certain you are a very type A person when it comes to all things, especially reloading cases in any caliber.

I have been using it for a long time now and have run into a few instances where things get scary.

That it is a very energetic powder is a bit of an obvious statement.

This being said, it is a pure joy to use if done with care. I have used it in .17VHA, .17FB, .17MIV, and .223 Rem with very good results. I have only very very gently approached the upper ends of where pressures begin to climb.

Trail Boss is a VERY safe powder by comparison. If I had some I would probably use it instead, but that stuff is UNOBTANIUM around here, so I went with HS700X.

As always BE CAREFUL, you only get ten fingers, 2 eyes, and they are pretty difficult to "repair".
I shot reduced loads with pistol powder for years before TB came out but you need to be VERY careful. I saw more than one gun blown up by over loads of pistol powder. In today's world, I would order TB by mail, have a buddy send me some or whatever it took to avoid using pistol powder. That or I would just shoot subsonic 22RF. I think the chances of making a mistake with pistol powder far outweighs the benefits.

Must be getting old, didn't worry about it when I was a kid.