Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Hello Doug,
I've never personally tried the Jasper products, after my father in law burned up 2 Jasper transmissions in his 03 Dodge behind his Cummins, I've made a mental note to stay away.
Jasper advertises a bunch and I've heard some good things about them, what you do need to know, their warranty starts with the first unit used, if the first or second unit goes south, your warranty still started with the first!
I personally would go GM if possible but I'm biased
Funny you ask about the 89 year, I just came back from riding in a 88 or 89 GMC Suburban in Heron Mt for a week(looking for a color phase black bear), brought good memories of the 89 3500 I drove for 5 years.

I currently have a my 95 Tahoe/Blazer 2 door setting in the barn waiting on a ground up, not because it makes sense but because I can

Stan
It's the Jasper tranny's I've heard poorly about and are pretty much deciding for me in a negative way.

"QUOTE"
Jerryv Is an 89 still carb or throttle body FI? I can't remember when they switched in the pickups. If you are switching that, it is kind of a big deal with ECMs and fuel pumps, isn't it?

I hate carburetors. They may be a little simpler,but they get old and cranky, just like me!
"QUOTE"

Throttle body FI and pre Vortec. in fact when I first started running this critter on the Highway I'd get 17MPG-ish which I consider real acceptable for a real truck. With my bad back I also find it real comfortable which is why I've had it so long anyway and am considering re-doing it. Pretty much planning to take it back to original with the exceptions of upgrades (to 4X4 actuator, tranny oil cooler etc ). New crate engine and 4 speed auto. That 350CID is a real dandy motor.
By the time I'm done bringing body back to new with new bed-liner and tool box, engine, tranny, upholstery back to new, tires and wheels I'll be in it close to $12,500.00 (remember I was in the business? ). Can't buy anything new for that and dang-little on a crap-shoot used market less ya get real lucky and I know what I got here.
Thanks for all the opinions, helped me decide where I was heading in the first place. Everyone likes what they like and ya shouldn't fall in love with a vehicle in all good sense but I've sure always always liked this one. I think the way it fits my back is a big part of it.
Thanks for the input .
Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Only been out about 9 years, not 33. How much newer is your '89??
Wrapped up in a good tarp too.

Ok, spend it if you've got it.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 05-28-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
It's the Jasper tranny's I've heard poorly about and are pretty much deciding for me in a negative way.

"QUOTE"
Jerryv Is an 89 still carb or throttle body FI? I can't remember when they switched in the pickups. If you are switching that, it is kind of a big deal with ECMs and fuel pumps, isn't it?

I hate carburetors. They may be a little simpler,but they get old and cranky, just like me!
"QUOTE"

Throttle body FI and pre Vortec. in fact when I first started running this critter on the Highway I'd get 17MPG-ish which I consider real acceptable for a real truck. With my bad back I also find it real comfortable which is why I've had it so long anyway and am considering re-doing it. Pretty much planning to take it back to original with the exceptions of upgrades (to 4X4 actuator, tranny oil cooler etc ). New crate engine and 4 speed auto. That 350CID is a real dandy motor.
By the time I'm done bringing body back to new with new bed-liner and tool box, engine, tranny, upholstery back to new, tires and wheels I'll be in it close to $12,500.00 (remember I was in the business? ). Can't buy anything new for that and dang-little on a crap-shoot used market less ya get real lucky and I know what I got here.
Thanks for all the opinions, helped me decide where I was heading in the first place. Everyone likes what they like and ya shouldn't fall in love with a vehicle in all good sense but I've sure always always liked this one. I think the way it fits my back is a big part of it.
Thanks for the input .
I thought it might be that motor. I have an old Suburban with the same one. It has a lot of miles but still runs great. A few more horsepower would be nice though. I would appreciate hearing about the progress of your project.

Jerry
Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Supporting Member

I had to chuckle because I’m the same way, just don’t care what other pestle think when it comes to spending my money.

I’m pretty sure my trany is only a 6 speed, it has no problem getting an OL fuel mileage of 20.7 in the summer. But when the temps get closer to freezing it drops off to around 19mpg.

FWIW I gave up on fuel economy 15 years ago and only go with what will help me sit in a vehicle without all kinds of stiffness, pain and numbness. Just amazed at the full size 4X4s consistently getting over 20 mpg.

Obviously when your doing what Doug is doing it’s more out of your own love for something in particular that will make you happy. Unfortunately for me comfort ranks at the top
Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 PM

My 03 Dodge Diesel sure does not ride like a new 1/2 ton Pickup, and my next one will be a F150. That being said, I would have had a REALLY hard time taking a new pickup out where I have gone the last 2 years after PDogs. I have driven through a river and basically ponds/ cow trail/ roads that were up to my cab deep in mud and water, and a 3" lifted Dodge 2500 on 35" tires is setting up a ways. I got to many places that required nearly all of the ground clearance I had, and many of the ruts were nearly a foot deep. I still get averaged 19 on the 2 trips, running my A/C idling around on the ranches. I can see both sides of the fence from where I am setting.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:07 AM

That's better mileage than I get with my V-6 Nissan Frontier 2WD. I don't need more truck than that, and couldn't afford more truck anyway, but the worst thing about the Nissans is the mileage. Period.
It's just the right size for my wants and needs, but the mileage compares poorly to the newer full-sized trucks. I got 20.2 on my last tank of gas, but in winter with winter gas I'm lucky to get 19.
It DOES run like a scalded dog, though, 260HP is FUN in that sized pickup. It is a very comfortable ride for trips to Whittaker's or Bud's, or visits with family in Missouri.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
My 03 Dodge Diesel sure does not ride like a new 1/2 ton Pickup, and my next one will be a F150. That being said, I would have had a REALLY hard time taking a new pickup out where I have gone the last 2 years after PDogs. I have driven through a river and basically ponds/ cow trail/ roads that were up to my cab deep in mud and water, and a 3" lifted Dodge 2500 on 35" tires is setting up a ways. I got to many places that required nearly all of the ground clearance I had, and many of the ruts were nearly a foot deep. I still get averaged 19 on the 2 trips, running my A/C idling around on the ranches. I can see both sides of the fence from where I am setting.
You are worse than me... I’d go a long ways to shoot PDs but ain’t no way, no desire to drive anything through what you have done just to pop PDs lol I admire your determination

But on the other side of that I don’t buy a vehicle to look at and have no issues using it the way I need too... I’m old enough and crippled up enough now that it’s just so much easier for me to have one all around pickup verses two... but back in the day two was the way for me with a 4” lift.

I’d consider a Tahoe if I ever had the desire to do some serious off roading. Being a little heavier may cause some issues but they manouver around so much better than a full size pickup... lots of ways but the bottom line is the best is whatever is in your heart....
Old 05-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Supporting Member

Doug, glad to hear you’re going to do a refurb on your truck. It has certainly been a great hunting companion for many years. You’ve taken great care of it
“ take it easy on those door hinges”. 😀 while still taking it off road and up hills.

Just a couple questions:
How you going to get all the HMR brass out of the vents?
Will it still wear a Montana wind flag?
After all the prettyfication, will you still climb the mountain after rock chucks?

Just askin
Larry
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM
Supporting Member

we were talking trucks the other day. to replace my 05' Dodge Cummins would cost me $70K today. Something tells me i will rebuild the suspension and rebuild the motor when it comes time for that.

ML
Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM

I totally get what you are doing and why Doug. You are absolutely at a “Do what makes you Happy” point in life and this sounds like a perfect project. Can’t wait to see the finished truck!