Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Changed my mind....

Charlie and RareBear,I almost forgot about my Ruger77VT in .243.It shoots so well I would keep that one,wait my newly acquired 1V in 25-06,wait....My custom 6.5 WSM that Greg built on a Stiller Python.....wait.....
This topic is way to hard....seriously one gun....Jordan ........
Matt
Old 12-10-2019, 02:27 PM

I’ll bite because right now with as much traveling as I do I only take one rifle with me. It’s a tikka t3 with Leupold 3.5-10x40 chambered in..... 222 Remington. This one has killed squirrels and cougars and just about everything in between. For all practicality though the same rifle in .223 would be a better choice due to the variety and availability of factory ammunition.

If you can only have one varmint rifle make it a 204 223 or 22-250. Ammo is everywhere and available.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:22 AM

For night time hunting action I prefer my CZ 527 American in 22 hornet shooting 40 grain Sierra hollow points. This gun has an old Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5x44mm AO scope on it that is bright and clear in all conditions for me and I find the hornet just doesn't disturb the peace like some of the other calibers. And in the night with my red coyote light my shots are always well within 150 yards anyway. Another favorite is my '79 Rem 700 BDL in .222 shooting 40 V-MAX's at 3,300 fps. This one has a little Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9 on it. Both are lasers with handloads. Now if I'm going specifically for yotes in day time, or I'm out WV, the Tikka T3 Lite in 243win with its newer Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 usually gets the nod. These are all nice lightweight carry guns. I leave the heavy barrel fast .22's action to the ground-hog sniper mission in summer, where you just drag it up to the highest point in the field, glass your targets, range 'em, adjust your scope nicely - with all the time in the world usually, and send it. I'd probably go 222 though if I could only have 1.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:59 PM

CZ527 .19 Badger.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 PM

I find this question quite silly since there really is only one answer: any good rifle in 223! A huge selection of ammo, little recoil, accurate out the wazoo, powerful enough for deer on down, and until recently fairly inexpensive. It is just well rounded. Factory or reloaded, it make little difference.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

not going to happen!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
CZ527 .19 Badger.
Gotta agree with this... Love mine.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:50 PM

Default At least compared to a .50 cal., it's small!

270 case "maxed out" and necked to 30 caliber.

110 gr. Sierra Hollow Points run 3,800 fps..

155 gr. Hornady A-Max will easily do over 3,400..

If I could only own "1" rifle for the rest of my life, it would be in the cartridge shown above, and this is why!

I have made the longest shot of my life with a rifle chambered in this wildcat cartridge, and have shot many deer and coyotes out to and well in excess of 1,000 yards.

If any of you guys have ever been to Sierra Bullets in Sedalia Missouri, they have a poster that has a very beautiful walnut frame around it, that shows the first 300 Jr. rifle that I built, that had a 36" Lilja 3-groove barrel, with the only 5" muzzle brake on it that I have ever made. Felt recoil was less than that of a 22 Hornet! Total weight of the gun was 23 pounds.

That rifle/cartridge combination was the reason for me getting into long-range shooting way back when, and I have been totally ruined ever since!

Last edited by DAVID; 01-10-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:54 PM

Fantastic and love the name.... Jr. Bill K
Old 01-13-2020, 01:23 AM

Thank you Bill K!

The first rifle I built and chambered in 300 Jr., was built for my dad. My brother and sister named the cartridge, hence the "Jr." in the name, because that was what everyone called him.

On the day I was packing the gun in it's gun case, getting ready to ship my dad "his" gun, My sister called just as was locking the case and said - our dad just passed away!

So, the cartridge holds a special meaning to me, and there are just some aspects of a rifle built and chambered in 300 Jr., that I do not and will not change. But the guys that do shoot it, love it because of it's wonderful accuracy potential, and to date, it requires only "1" powder to load for it, regardless of bullet or bullet weight.

As you can see, I am VERY partial to this cartidge...