Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2020, 02:54 PM

I think I've got a can of AL-8 around here somewhere, from back when I was loading for the .41 Magnum. I didn't get the excellent results a buddy did, for HIS .41, and the powder has probably gone bad by now.

I started out with a LEE loader kit for 12 gauge, with a pound of Red Dot, some Federal wads, and a sack of Lawrence shot, all bought at a K-Mart store in Olathe, KS, around 1974. IIRC, I paid $3.95 for the powder. I doubt I had $20 in the whole schmear.
It wasn't a lot of fun, with a Lee loader, but it got the job done.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:59 PM

I started with a surplus 03 bought from the local five and dime.(Wish I could have afforded a case of them). Bought a pound of HiVel #2 and 100 Sierra 125 grain bullets. I still have the can and a little powder. Have a lot of the little square powder cans. I was given 8 pounds of 450LS and several cans of Super Balistite. I am using the 450 in 38 specials. Just saving the Balistite with other stuff that I can't bring myself to throw out.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 PM

The other containers I like are the cylindrical metal cans with conical necks that Winchester used to make before the current plastic bottles. They were maybe a one quart size and held 1 lb. I had a big 8 lb can of W231, and that one was maybe 1.5gal size - BIG. I still use the 1 lb cans to re-label and use to put powder from 8 lb plastic kegs of surplus rifle powders.