Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-12-2021, 07:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_the_Tinkerer View Post
Thanks for that, TinMan. The only issue here is that 'long shot' split cases on the first firing, not the first reload, but the first firing. That's cause for concern. I'm sure by how he describes the account, that this isn't typical.
I had 2 pieces of Nosler 222Mag brass that did the same thing, A longitudinal split starting close to the web and running towards the neck. I did have another bag of that brass so I had the correct lot number and contacted Nosler. They had me send the cracked brass to them. They ran them through their lab and replied back with there was either an inclusion or foreign matter in the brass and sent me 15 replacement pieces. Unfortunately I did not keep the empty bags from the WW 22 hornet brass so I had nothing to go off to contact Winchester. Needless to say that will be the last red bag WW brass I will purchase. I can understand a random piece or two failing but when you are over 10% loss on the initial firing something in their quality control is really lacking........ On another note, I've got hornet cases with over 10 loadings fired from the same rifle with no issues.

Aaron
Old 07-12-2021, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_the_Tinkerer View Post
That's disheartening to hear, but needed nonetheless. I may just use the 180 WW brass that I have on hand (blue label), just anneal the top half before I fireform.

So let me get this straight. You loaded 22 hornet loads to shoot in a 22 hornet, and you still lost about 10%? The old WW stuff got at least 8 full powered loads and I have yet to split a single case. I really am thinking I may not want to invest the money in these new brass...
My intent was to make 17AH out of the brass but due to it being so soft it collapsed the casings instead of forming. Making the best out of a bad situation, I simply loaded them as 22 Hornets to utilize the brass which resulted in just over 10% of the casings failing. (same load I've been using for years) Rifle is a 77/22 Hornet with a factory chamber.

Aaron
Old 07-12-2021, 08:41 PM

Default Success!

Aaron,

I actually discovered a solution to my dilemma which allows me to salvage all of the "short" brass from the most recent fireforming. All I have to do is to reduce my OAL from 1.385" to 1.380" (which is only 1/3 of a millimeter shorter), and I can save 75% of this set and 100% of the remainder of the first fireforming set.

I also happen to come into some great fortune. There's a local gunship 10 minutes from me that has been in business for 50 years. They happen to have like 10 of the 20-round boxes of the S&B 45gr FMJ 22 hornet ammofl for about $1/round (I've been looking for this), as well as 3 of the 50-round boxes of the Federal 30gr TNT green for $1.30/round (onlime is rare and at least $1.90/round. The Federal ammo is made in Germany, and has brass headstamped "F - C" and it is clearly been annealed at the factory, and annealed very well...better looking brass than anything I've seen come from the US makers. Once I fire them, I'll determine their quality. Hopefully they have good capacity (at least as much as Hornady), because I may use those for my hammer load instead.

This Federal cartridge/brass made in Germany is the best looking hornet ammo I have ever seen. Period. I hope it shoots as well as the TNT green in 22WMR did in my CZ512, as I may then save some for close range work.