Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-18-2022, 07:15 PM
Supporting Member

Question For CO residents...especially those that relocated there since 2013?!?

For CO residents...especially those that relocated there since 2013?!?

Hey All,

I hope this finds you all well. I'm looking at relocating to SW Colorado and buying a small hay farm. (Yes, I will personally be controlling the prevalent prairie dog population. )

The area is pretty conservative but I understand that the state as a whole is not so much anymore. That said, a specific concern is their magazine laws & hope those in Colorado & especially those that have relocated there since 2013 can clarify for me or at least lend some input. As I have a few +15 rnd magazines that I have owned pre-2013 for a few HG's and defensive long guns...can I bring these and possess them there? Can I actually legally use them?

What I think I understand thus far is that the sale and transfer is a problem (don't plan on selling or giving any of them away) but that the possession of them is not an issue so long as you are not committing crimes with them or selling them etc. As I'm understanding it...
  • legal possession relates to the date of ownership pre-2013
  • the burden of proof of date of ownership is with the state...
  • nearly impossible to prove manufacture date unless specifically stamped on the magazine or...a it's firearm with proprietary magazines that wasn't manufactured in 2013. CZ Scorpion EVO etc.
  • few if any law enforcement has a desire to enforce unless used in a crime
  • penalties are a misdemeanor and are rarely enforced (6 convictions since inception)...especially in conservative areas outside Denver, Boulder, Vail & Pueblo.
  • they aren't technically magazines if the spring is removed?

Again, can I bring them with me when I move if I wasn't a resident since 2013? Can I actually legally use them there?

Thank so much in advance!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 01-18-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Pretty simple. YOU were not a CO resident in possession of the magazines before the cutoff date and are transferring them into CO. End of discussion, except most sheriffs don't give a SRA until you are in court for defending yourself with one and etc etc.
Having owned Ag land here in SW CO for thirty years my recommendation is find the best Water Lawyer you can to go over the water rights and historical usage before you buy. I have several friends in real estate and all of them would say DON'T TRUST A REAL ESTATE AGENT about the water rights. CO has an entirely different water law than the other 49 states. That's what you should worry about.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

I have a friend who lives near Durango in SW Colorado. He has told me that interpretation of the law changes as easily as talking to two different "experts" on the topic.

It might be worthwhile to get a written interpretation from the States Attorney office or similar before you move. Finding out the current "truth" could be painful after the fact.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-2022, 11:38 PM
Supporting Member

Not throwing a brick at BCB but the default setting on any bureaucrat is gonna be 'NO'. My '80 CJ-5 was in a fire and the dealer said law did not require the pollution crap to be fixed. Denver pollution Nazi said I could spend the cost of my house fighting him and the answer would still be no.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Just load 'em and wear 'em.

IF you have a CCW from Utah, bring it along it's good til it
expires, by then you'll be settled and can get one from the
local sheriff. IF you don't have one, don't cover it up!
Wear it open just about anywhere there's no sign on the door
against it.

I have no clue about buying a ranch, that's over the hump from here.

Best wishes.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-19-2022, 05:29 AM
Supporting Member

Not to get too far off-topic but some FYI clarifications...we are excited about this new adventure as we approach semi-retirement but with this one minor exception. We have already struck a deal on a place...contingent upon the sale of our home which goes up for sale in 2 weeks. The place has water pressurized irrigation already...IF there is water. Last year there was serious water restrictions even for farmers...they basically ran out. So many ended up pooling their allotments to cover their minimum water charges; this was the first time this has happened to this extent. Hopefully, this year will be better as the snowpack is looking better.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Pretty simple. YOU were not a CO resident in possession of the magazines before the cutoff date and are transferring them into CO.
End of discussion, except most sheriffs don't give a SRA until you are in court for defending yourself with one and etc etc.
This is the thing that seems kinda murky as I am not transferring ownership but am transferring residence. I.E. I don't have to do anything transferring of my firearms so why would this apply to magazines? So crazy.

Quote:
Having owned Ag land here in SW CO for thirty years my recommendation is find the best Water Lawyer you can to go over the water rights and historical usage before you buy. I have several friends in real estate and all of them would say DON'T TRUST A REAL ESTATE AGENT about the water rights. CO has an entirely different water law than the other 49 states. That's what you should worry about.
Thank you barret, I appreciate the heads up. (where are you generally located?) Yes, water "rights" are VERY different from any other state I have dealt with...with their annual minimum charges along with metered flow with potential limits but also potential overages available for an additional cost...IF there is enough water. AND...you can pool your allotment. BTW, I am dealing directly with the retired owner & also conversing directly with the water district about the specific property and water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I have a friend who lives near Durango in SW Colorado. He has told me that interpretation of the law changes as easily as talking to two different "experts" on the topic.
Exactly BCB...everything I have read seems to echo this sentiment.
Quote:
It might be worthwhile to get a written interpretation from the States Attorney office or similar before you move. Finding out the current "truth" could be painful after the fact.
Agreed but what I have been reading is the only response you get if any is always against...anything pro-gun otherwise non-commital especially in writing. For the most part, these will be associated with items that will not be publically advertised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
the default setting on any bureaucrat is gonna be 'NO'.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Just load 'em and wear 'em.

Quote:
IF you have a CCW from Utah, bring it along it's good til it
expires, by then you'll be settled and can get one from the
local sheriff.
10-4, good call.
Quote:
I have no clue about buying a ranch, that's over the hump from here.

Best wishes.
Thank you George...and everyone else. I think the law was poorly written which makes it cut both ways...and makes it clear as mud.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 01-19-2022, 01:59 PM

If a magazine doesn't have a manufactured date on it, law enforcement has no way to tell when a person came into possession, hence no way to prosecute anyone on possession of a 15+ rd. magazine.

I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if I brought a bunch of magazines with me from another state, as long as none of them have a manufactures date showing a date beyond the date the law went into affect.

Welcome to Colo.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
If a magazine doesn't have a manufactured date on it, law enforcement has no way to tell when a person came into possession, hence no way to prosecute anyone on possession of a 15+ rd. magazine.

I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if I brought a bunch of magazines with me from another state, as long as none of them have a manufactures date showing a date beyond the date the law went into affect.

Welcome to Colo.

My thoughts exactly. Hey Neighbor I'm off 102 at CR17/21
Old 01-24-2022, 06:38 PM
Supporting Member

From what I was reading it seems hunting is legal with suppressors in Colorado? Does anyone know(use one) for sure that lives there? Thx!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 01-24-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
From what I was reading it seems hunting is legal with suppressors in Colorado? Does anyone know(use one) for sure that lives there? Thx!
Yes they are legal here in Colorado. Have 2 suppressors, one for my varmint
rifles and 1 for my large game rifles.

What area of SW Colorado are you moving to? I'm here in Cortez, CO.
Moved here 4 years ago from NE California, no other reason than family.