Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Default 5mm contender

I have been reading about the 5mm since the Centurion ammo was brought out over a year ago. I saw the prices of the 591's skyrocket, and hoped CZ or another manufacturer would bring out a quality bolt rifle for this caliber. I got online, discovered that Zanders had the contender G2 barrels in 5mm in stock. Can't be, I told myslef, haven't heard anything about the barrels. Called my dealer to have him check--sure enough, they are in stock and ready to ship in the 23 inch heavy profile. I had him order one, and then got online with Midway and ordered some of the ammo. Everything came in yesterday, so I swapped the 223 barrel off my G2 and went to shooting. Very fun cartridge to shoot, can't wait to put it on some critters. In the wind, and with a 2x7 scope, I was able to keep 5 shots around an inch at 100 yards. A scope upgrade is next, and hopefully some calmer weather. I shot 50 rounds, was a joy to shoot. Now my question....any clues to any different bullets or ammo for this cartridge coming out soon? I'm very happy with the 30 grain, just wanted to know what is around the corner before I get a really large order of ammo coming in. Also, what are some of the larger animals that have been shot with this load, and how did it perform on them?
Love the 5mm mag!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Default Picture???

Any chance of a picture of your setup???
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM

When I get a bit more scope on it (hopefully this weekend), I'll post up some pics. Pretty simple setup though, factory wood stocks, blue finish, and 23 inch heavy barrel without sights. Thinking about a Burris mil dot 4.5x14 for it.
Still am suprised they had these barrels in stock, hadn't read of any place having them. Cheap way to try out the 5mm, if you already have a contender.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member

GCrock,

R&D continues (not surprising, considering the response to the new ammo) on future offerings in the 5mm, that's about as far as I can go into details.

As to what has been shot, I can only speak from what has been done in controlled environments. I do know that it's been tested on pigs, goats, prairie dogs and even thawed chickens with various types of small melons and fruits inserted into the chest cavity. The round that is out now, was intentially designed as more of a "miniature big game bullet". It was designed for penetration, specifically targeted for coyotes and such, to minimize "splashing" or "cratering" as a result of the bullet inadvertantly hitting the scapula, but stillhaving enough expansion to limit pass through.

At 25yds the round easily penetrated the skull of a fairly good size farm pig. Same for the goat (IIRC).

BTW, I'm glad to hear folks getting good results with the ammo. That was one of the risks in bringing out this round; that its reputation for accuracy would be based on some fairly older rifles. Its good to hear that with a modern rifle it is performing as expected. When doing some of the prototype testing, we made very effort to be unbiased and to cover as many rifles as we could afford (which ended up being a combination of 7 591's and 592's), so it does my conscience well to know we just didn't "luck" into seven above average accurate rifles.

Best of luck to you and I hope you continue to enjoy the 5mm!

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM

MarinePMI,
Thank you for the information, I know you can't go into too many details on the ammo still in testing. Looking at the bullet, I figured it would make a pretty good close quarters round for fox and bobcat. Glad to hear it is penetrating well on larger game as well. I think if a guy calls during the daylight, the 5mm would handle a coyote well, given good shot location.
I have a 17 hmr that I was shooting side by side with the 5mm, very similar. But when I shot my metal targets at 100 yards, the 5mm seemed just a tad slower(expected), but hit with a much greater sounding impact. Looking at the holes in the dirt behind the sight in cardboard, it looked like they were penetrating pretty well. I've added the 5mm to the list of rifles for prairie dog shooting, and the t/c will ride with me around the farm for other critters. Next winter, I will take it on a few calling stands as well. Thanks again for your info, and helping to revive a great round!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Supporting Member

Glad to hear your report and the fun you had! The 30 gr bullets seemed to hit hard for me in a PD town but I also noticed a noise I do not hear very often, a ricochet….
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Supporting Member

It would seem to be fun to try both rimfire and centerfire cases in the same barrel!
Hope to see more on your new barrel results.