Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 PM

Default Barrel life sako stainless?

I have an A1 sako varminter .17 Rem. with factory stainless heavy barrel. It has had approx 900 rounds through it, and shoots under half inch groups consistently.How long do any of you guys think this barrel will give this kind of accuracy? Basicly, how long will it last? Over to you!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Supporting Member

Stainless will outlast chrome-molly. As long as you don't get excited in a pd town and overheat the barrel my guess would be about 3000 rnds before you notice any change in accuracy given field conditions. I'm sure there are barrel experts here who will be able to give you a better answer. Good question...
Old 09-24-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetboy View Post
I have an A1 sako varminter .17 Rem. with factory stainless heavy barrel.
AFAIK Sako did not produce stainless steel barrels till the M75, however I could be wrong.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I got just over 6000 thru a blued steel sako .222mag
Just don't let it get too hot to put your bare hand on it and you'll be a long time wearing it out.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps500 View Post
AFAIK Sako did not produce stainless steel barrels till the M75, however I could be wrong.
Many thanks for your replies fella's. Yes, it is a genuine sako stainless barrel and is marked and branded as such. I also know a couple of other shooters who have exactly the same model with the same barrel.Part of my query relates to the longevity of the sako stainless barrels as much as it does to other stainless .17 barrels.Again thanks for your input thus far, and I look forward to hearing other opinions on how long it will last with accuracy. Cheers!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Question A stainless AI heavy barrel??......

.....could you post a pic?

Kevin
Old 09-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
.....could you post a pic?

Kevin
My computer is wireless and uploading is a nightmare; sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, however I might be able to use a mates computer in a week or so. I'll try when I can.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default A1??

I think the reason Kevin want's to see a pic is that I'm not aware of there being "any" stainless A1 barrels, much less a 17cal Varmint one. Are you sure it's not a Sako CM barrel in the white? Do the factory roll marks run down the length of the barrel on the side which would indicate a mdl 75? I guess having collected Sakos and specfically small actioned Sakos this is the first stainless AI barrel I've ever heard of. But..one thing about Sako, nothing is set in stone, look forward to some pics.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 PM

The only stainless A1's I've ever seen here in Australia were all .17's and I believe they were done to minimize copper fouling which was a real problem for the professional shooters in the fox skin trade and they are definitely factory branded. It says "CAL.17REM.MADE IN FINLAND" followed by the little sako emblem.This is on the left hand side of the barrel about an inch and a half in front of the action. It's pure shiny silver screwed into a chrome-moly action, and mine isn't the only one I know of.I definitely know of three others.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Supporting Member

Default Caliber designation

The A1 model caliber designation won't be on the left side of the barrel. It will be directly in front of the action, centered, on top of the barrel. Exactly the same as the L461. Here is a Sako A1 caliber designation. Does yours look like this one? The model 75 is as you describe, down the left side.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 09-25-2011 at 12:22 AM.