Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2011, 02:43 AM

Am endeavouring to get a photo posted, but writing is definitely on left as described,and is factory fitted.How long will it last?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 AM

Further thoughts. Given that these rifles do exist in Australia in the stainless configuration,and are not being instantly recognised there in the US, it is very possible that they were a special model just for Australia to satisfy the pro's who I know were moaning about having to clean halfway through the night. At that time prime skins were bringing up to $50 each and some bokes were getting 25 to 40 skins a night in the west and that's a fact. Of course those days are long gone but the sako's remain! I suppose only sako can answer this. I still don't know how long the barrel will last but I like the sound of that 3000rd estimate!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetboy View Post
How long will it last?
Barrel longevity is a subjective matter.

It depends entirely upon a number of factors.

Usage
Cleaning
Ammunition
Accepted group size.

Assuming that all the above are what could be termed average then 2-3000 rounds is about average.

I have BR rifles with SS barrels that I'm delighted to get 1000 rounds acceptable performance out of. I have a friend who has a SS barrelled .270 with over 4000 rounds but he's happy as it still groups inside 2moa and he only uses it for deer hunting. He just seats the bullet out longer to counter the throat erosion. But I suspect he's just about at the barrels limits now.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Thankyou Bart! Yes, it is a "piece of string" question, I know. I was hoping someone had a rifle like mine and could compare notes. I have been told that that sako stainless was very hard and consequently lasted very well! Also I was interested in seeing how other stainless .17 Rem's lasted to still give 1/2 moa accuracy. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetboy View Post
Also I was interested in seeing how other stainless .17 Rem's lasted
Well,,,, since you've added "other SS .17Rem barrels" to the question, I can tell ya that I have a SS PN barrel with well over 2000 rnds fired that's still capable of 1/2" groups on the days that I'm capable of it.

Barrels are like tires. Ya rotate em, keep the air pressure right, and change em when their worn out.
Course the one's that are used hard on rocky/gravel roads will never last as long as those driven on the tarmac.

Charlie
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Thanks repete. Well put! Any other takers?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default barrel life Sako Stainless

Just a little local information on this subject.
Sako produced a small number of Stainless BARRELS in Australia , they were distributed locally by Custer @ Silverdale NSW.Only in 17 & only on the L461 Action & primarily for the Aus foxshooters when skins were commanding prices in the $40/50 mark.
Maybe this will help.
I have one on my17AH & I would like to have a couple more in stock ! they are a half inch performer.
BarryB
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 AM

Thanks Barry, yes the other rifles I know of are shooters too! They are all on the same A1 acxtionas mine and all heavy barrels.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 AM

I found one that is coming up for auction next week.

SAKO MOD. L461 B/A SPORTING RIFLE: 17 Rem; 23¼" stainless steel Sako heavy barrel; mint bore; 5 shot mag; blk action fitted with scope mounts & rings; chequered stock with pistol grip, cheek pc & hard rubber butt plate; varnished finish to wood; in near new cond. #155504 L/R
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM

It seems as though it's an Australian thing ,doesn't it? Nice piece of detective work! How long will that barrel last?